heating pad question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam22188

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Mill, SC
So I was wondering if anybody has used a heating pad with a rubbermaid storage container? I would think the heat would melt it but not sure how hot those things actually get. Do you put something between the pad and plastic? Just curious because trying to decide to use a heating pad or a heat emitter for my night time temps. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steven:

What kind of tortoise are we talking about?

There wouldn't be anything to worry about with the pad under the plastic tub. They usually don't get hot enough to do damage. However, I would go with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). I normally use an under-the-habitat heat strip for baby box turtles. The heat rising up through the moist substrate adds a lot of humidity to the enclosure. But for baby leopards or sulcatas, I prefer to use the CHE. I guess its really whatever seems to work best for you and your circumstance.

sam22188

5 Year Member
Fort Mill, SC
emysemys said:
Hi Steven:

What kind of tortoise are we talking about?

There wouldn't be anything to worry about with the pad under the plastic tub. They usually don't get hot enough to do damage. However, I would go with a CHE (ceramic heat emitter). I normally use an under-the-habitat heat strip for baby box turtles. The heat rising up through the moist substrate adds a lot of humidity to the enclosure. But for baby leopards or sulcatas, I prefer to use the CHE. I guess its really whatever seems to work best for you and your circumstance.

Its a Golden Greek Tortoise.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use one of under my hides to keep it humid inside works nice here a pic

006-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.