Heating (wattage) for a 8' x 4' x 3' height enclosed sliding front glass terrarium.

Wrts1289

Location (City and/or State)
Sterling Heights, michigan
Hello again! So I have already set up my led lighting and UV Set up for the enclosed terrarium I have. Prior to purchasing the automatic temperature controls, I need to deal with the heating requirements which will obviously change as the winter approaches. So far 3 pro ceramic lamp holder and brackets have been purchased, but I am trying to figure out the wattage bulbs I will need to maintain a sufficient heating for this size terrarium. I am not looking for additional light through these bulbs, strictly heat. Anyone with experience dealing with this? The environment around this terrarium usually gets down to the 50s in dead of winter. There is also a 4" fan (approximate size) installed to the back of the terrarium.

Also are there temperature controls that deal with 3-4 power cords? Trying not to have multiple outlets needed if I can avoid it. Really have not dealt with controls for the fan (if needed) or how I will humidify the set up yet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two or three ceiling mounted 100 or 150 watt CHEs will probably do it. Only your thermometer can tell you for sure.

Plug all three CHEs into one of those outlet strips with six outlets, and plug that into your thermostat.

Wrts1289

Two or three ceiling mounted 100 or 150 watt CHEs will probably do it. Only your thermometer can tell you for sure.

Plug all three CHEs into one of those outlet strips with six outlets, and plug that into your thermostat.
Thank you. That will save me a lot of money since the ones I have found can be almost $400.

Wrts1289

So the CHE (which I really like) put out a significant amount of heat about (471 degrees) as compared to usage of domes with the ceramic sockets in them which the outside of the dome measures at 143 degrees. I am considering returning the arcadia pro ceramic lamp holder and bracket which have no housing around them. Instead purchasing domes with the ceramic sockets in them to protect neighboring lamps. Any opinion on this? Seems safer and less expensive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So the CHE (which I really like) put out a significant amount of heat about (471 degrees) as compared to usage of domes with the ceramic sockets in them which the outside of the dome measures at 143 degrees. I am considering returning the arcadia pro ceramic lamp holder and bracket which have no housing around them. Instead purchasing domes with the ceramic sockets in them to protect neighboring lamps. Any opinion on this? Seems safer and less expensive.
Get your domed fixtures at Home Depot. $13 each. Hang those form the ceiling. Remove and dispose of the clamps that come with them.

CHEs run very hot. Mount them high enough. With a 36 inch tall enclosure, this should be no problem.