Height of UVB light ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
I was wondering if the UVB light is too high if that could create soft shells. I'm just searching for why this could possibly happen. I had the light around 18 " and I've now lowered it to around 12 inches. Would this impact the shells at all ? They haven't been outside for around a week but they were still soft when outside. My other question is should I put them out for even 30 minutes to get some sun if its over 100 degrees out or just skip it all together.

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
I cannot answer all your questions, but I do know that all the uvb lights have an "effective height range". It should say on the box. Mine says its only effective up to 12 inches from desired surface.

I've been taking my tort out in 90 degree weather but I chase her around with a temp probe and a mister in basically all shade. I figure with that and the uvb light, she's getting enough.

Hopefully someone will be on here to help with the soft shell.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TortForum mobile app

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
Depending on the light you are using, yes the distance will affect the amount of UVB reaching the tort. Beck is right, look up what the manufacturer recommends for the distance of the light to the shell. I'll let someone more qualified speak about the soft shell issue. If you're able to let them out for 30 mins a day of sun supervised, they have shade that they can retreat to and water, I would recommend it always. Are they getting enough calcium with D3? Certainly diet plays a big part.

dar64

5 Year Member
They get calcium with D3. They get everything they need. The directions were 12-18 inches. I even spoke with the power sun people.I'm just wondering if for some reason closer to them might help.I did lower it to 12 inches to see if it helps. I'll let them out a little but Tom had mentioned nothing in triple digits.

mchong9606 said:
Depending on the light you are using, yes the distance will affect the amount of UVB reaching the tort. Beck is right, look up what the manufacturer recommends for the distance of the light to the shell. I'll let someone more qualified speak about the soft shell issue. If you're able to let them out for 30 mins a day of sun supervised, they have shade that they can retreat to and water, I would recommend it always. Are they getting enough calcium with D3? Certainly diet plays a big part.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What temperatures are you obtaining at the 12" and at the 18". The basking temperature is your primary concern. You can add a tube light to get more UV. Or even better sunshine.

For the 100 degree days try wetting the ground or using a sprinkler and an area that has choice of sun and shade. A burrow to get out of the heat is helpful.

Early morning sun is probably best on the hot days. The ground is still slightly cool from the evening. So set your alarm for 5 am and while your getting ready for the day; the torts can get a few early rays in a secure predator proof enclosure.

Good luck.

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
So you have a ZooMed Powersun MVB? I thought you might have had a Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 If that's the case, I've asked the question as well...for me a 100 watt MVB directly underneath should be between 100 to 110 degrees at the top of the shell. You would vary the height of the MVB to acheive this. Generally, between the height of 12 to 18 inches depending on your setup. Your tort will move closer or farther away to get the right basking temperature. Of course, don't forget about humidity if they are little guys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
dar64 said:
I was wondering if the UVB light is too high if that could create soft shells. I'm just searching for why this could possibly happen. I had the light around 18 " and I've now lowered it to around 12 inches. Would this impact the shells at all ? They haven't been outside for around a week but they were still soft when outside. My other question is should I put them out for even 30 minutes to get some sun if its over 100 degrees out or just skip it all together.

The height of your bulb doesn't create a soft shell. Set the height so that the basking temp directly under it is around 95-100.

I don't like to put them outside in triple digit temps. Like Will said, just do it early morning or late afternoon, if the temp drops low enough. If you do put them out, make sure they have lots of deep shade, use misters or sprinklers, and watch them and their temps very closely. They can die in minutes in that kind of heat, if you are not careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.