UVB strip light question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Sorry it's me again! I'm about to replace a UVB strip light for Alan. The last one I bought was when I bought him! I was advised to buy 12% UVB output due to the 20inch height above him....my question is should I buy the same again or a lesser UVB light?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think I would go with the 6% for a redfoot. How did he react to the 12%? I use 12% with my leopards.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
yagyujubei said:
I think I would go with the 6% for a redfoot. How did he react to the 12%? I use 12% with my leopards.

He took a while to come out of his hide when we first got him but now he'll come out before it comes on (between 630 and 800). He then will come out again for short period of times during the day. My heat lamp is red so I think he comes out to warm up first thing then when I feed him he'll come over and munch. Then back in before the strip light comes on....I work all day Monday to Friday and on a weekend I've noticed he occasionally comes out for a wonder! :) I might go for 6%?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is SO easy to overdo lighting for forest species. They need access to great lighting, but by nature are shy. (If most of YOUR mortal enemies were most active in sunlight and open areas, you might be shy about it too!)

I prefer a low-level, low-wattage UVB long tube, mounted at the right height running about 8 hours a day, and another 'superwhite', daylight, or similar balanced white bulb mounted higher for a dawn and dusk effect- then lots of vegetation and cover with openings and dappled light. (That is what I PREFER, but am not always able to do! :) )

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Madkins007 said:
It is SO easy to overdo lighting for forest species. They need access to great lighting, but by nature are shy. (If most of YOUR mortal enemies were most active in sunlight and open areas, you might be shy about it too!)

I prefer a low-level, low-wattage UVB long tube, mounted at the right height running about 8 hours a day, and another 'superwhite', daylight, or similar balanced white bulb mounted higher for a dawn and dusk effect- then lots of vegetation and cover with openings and dappled light. (That is what I PREFER, but am not always able to do! :) )

I love his shyness because I normally get a peak of him before I go to work! It makes my day seeing him basking under his heat lamp in the dark then taking a dip in his soak. I'll have to get something sorted with this strip light! Cheers for your input! merry Christmas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.