Hello all you happy people

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
A little over a year ago we got our Leopard tortoise, Marshell. I was told by the breeder that he was a yearling when we got him. The vertebral scutes down the center of his carapace have designs that look like "mnm" and since the rapper Eminem's name is Marshall Mathers...the tortoise with M-N-M on his scutes becomes "Marshell Madders". I've included an image so you can see what I'm referring to.
marshell2.jpg
I've been going back and forth about the probability of him starting to pyramid. He actually looks about the same when we got him as far as the condition of his scutes and his size in general are concerned which is what is throwing me off. The more I look at him and think about it, the more convinced he IS suffering with pyramiding in its initial stages. He doesn't have peaks on his scutes but they are raised nonetheless. Can anyone verify my diagnosis or assure me I'm being paranoid from the image above?

I live in the Northern suburbs of Phoenix, AZ so I'm in a prime position to keep Marshell outside eventually but he's a little too small for me to be comfortable with that at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi manmythlegend:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I see what you mean about the lettering on his dorsal scutes. You're so observant!!

What would you like us to call you?

And, yes, your baby is starting to pyramid. You can stop it right now with a more humid environment. Either moist substrate or a humid hiding place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME:D. Yes there is pyramiding. There is a great thread at the bottom of this post by my signature for one of the ways to raising smooth leopards. if you start now, you can start growing the new growth smooth. I had the same problem with my 11 month old. Bad I fo when I purchased him. I followed the thread and his new growth is growing smooth.

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
He looked almost exactly the same when I got him (just smaller) so he was already pyramiding from the breeder's it would seem. He's the middle tortoise in this image sent directly from the breeder almost a year ago. This was the first time I'd ever seen him in this image.
I'll start soaking him tonight and get a moist hide built ASAP.

Attachments

• image-363918924.png
    image-363918924.png
    183 KB · Views: 45

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad you have chosen to join us here! Welcome!! :tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D What a beautiful little tort....the others also replied about the pyramiding...so no need here :D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Good luck! I'm sure you'll get him growing smoothly in no time with the help of all the wonderful people here!

manmythlegend

5 Year Member
I started a new thread about Marshell's conversion to a "wet" environment on the Leopard species specific area of the forum. I'll do my best to keep everyone apprised of the situation with Marshell's pyramiding issue on the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.