Hello all

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
***Yvonne pumps fist in the air, pulling it down quickly while exclaiming, "YES!!! Tortoise Forum strikes again!!"***

Good job, Ross. We'll pick you all off one at a time and eventually there will be no more unhealthy, bumpy sulcata babies. I'm so glad you are willing to see a different side to the care story and are willing to change. There's really no need for the 10 gallon aquarium. I use the large plastic tubs for my babies. I just use a moist substrate (I like the small grade orchid bark) and I cover the whole thing, lights and all, with cooking foil.

baby box turtles 9-19-14 a.jpg

This is a small tub because the inhabitants are baby box turtles (think smaller than a quarter)

Ross Malcolm

San Francisco, California
Interesting, you get high humidity with just that? Though I dont think its practical for an 8 foot long tub. I'm going to grab a 4x8 plastic tub in the morning and set up something similar. I'm still working out what the best way to light it is going to be though. im going to peruse the enclosures section a bit more

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Interesting, you get high humidity with just that? Though I dont think its practical for an 8 foot long tub. I'm going to grab a 4x8 plastic tub in the morning and set up something similar. I'm still working out what the best way to light it is going to be though. im going to peruse the enclosures section a bit more
There are lots of things you can use to cover it. Plexiglass , plywood a comb of things

Ross Malcolm

Yeah, I was thinking a hard plastic would be easy to light and add vent holes to. I already have the container, just not at my place, and it's lid is not flat and has been hard to work with in the past, and hinges in the middle strangely.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, I cover the whole thing, but this was the only picture I could find in my album. The heat, plus the seedling heat mat, plus the wet substrate, and the whole thing covered, keeps the warm, moist air inside very well. I do tortoise-keeping by the seat-of-my pants method...I don't use hygrometers or fancy tools, just a regular thermometer and my eyes. If the turtles or tortoises are doing well, I'm a happy camper.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Yeah, I was thinking a hard plastic would be easy to light and add vent holes to. I already have the container, just not at my place, and it's lid is not flat and has been hard to work with in the past, and hinges in the middle strangely.
No air holes. They don't need it and it lets out heat and humidity

Ross Malcolm

Alright he is in a 4X2 plastic tub, plywood cover (didnt like the acrylic), and a tinfoil wrapped light. It's not ideal (too small) but the best I could do on short notice. Temperature gradient from 93 hot side to 86 cool side, achieved with a Kane poly heat mat. Basking spot is only 100 until I make a taller light tower and swap the CFL for a MV. ~99% humidity, getting a new hygrometer today to double check this as mine is pretty old. There is a 'humid hut' in there with some moss in it for what its worth (he has spent some time in there). I'll get some photos of it this afternoon when I let him out to soak. He has been reasonably active since I moved him in yesterday, but has ignored his mazuri, which is not like him. He did take a few bites out of an opuntia pad.

got a quick photo while he was waking up this morning

IMG_20150218_074948713.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice. He's almost outgrown that hidey hole!