Hello and Help with identifcation/rehab

Salty

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello everyone, I'm in need of some help identifying this lil guy and maybe some tips as far as rehab. I found this tortoise at a customers house I was doing a AC install on. The tank was extremely filthy and who knows the last time it was given water. The tortoise looked dehydrated and like it was on it's death bed. After mentioning the condition of the tortoise I was told to take it because the lady didn't want it anymore. So I took it home soaked it, gave it water, (lil guy was very thirsty) and got it a lil temporary setup. That was two days ago and the lil fellas starting to look a lot better (He can actually move around, drinks on his own and has eaten a lil bit). The main issue I am having at the moment is figuring out exactly what species it is. I am in Arizona so it is possible its a Desert Tortoise but the previous keeper said it was purchased about a year ago (can't remember where) and I'm pretty sure they are illegal to sale. The tortoise is still tiny and the shell is very soft so I haven't handled it anymore than is absolutely necessary. I can take more photos if needed. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211210_210923.jpg
    IMG_20211210_210923.jpg
    991.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20211210_210856.jpg
    IMG_20211210_210856.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20211210_205907.jpg
    IMG_20211210_205907.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm thinking a desert tort but not 100% Will tag a few people that will know.
@Yvonne G @Markw84 @Tom.
Thank you for saving this poor fella. If he is a few years old he is undersized as you may have guessed.
Give warm soaks daily and good uvb. Basking temp of 95-100 and over all temp of 80 until the ID is determined.
Add calcium just a small pinch to its food 3 times a week.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone, I'm in need of some help identifying this lil guy and maybe some tips as far as rehab. I found this tortoise at a customers house I was doing a AC install on. The tank was extremely filthy and who knows the last time it was given water. The tortoise looked dehydrated and like it was on it's death bed. After mentioning the condition of the tortoise I was told to take it because the lady didn't want it anymore. So I took it home soaked it, gave it water, (lil guy was very thirsty) and got it a lil temporary setup. That was two days ago and the lil fellas starting to look a lot better (He can actually move around, drinks on his own and has eaten a lil bit). The main issue I am having at the moment is figuring out exactly what species it is. I am in Arizona so it is possible its a Desert Tortoise but the previous keeper said it was purchased about a year ago (can't remember where) and I'm pretty sure they are illegal to sale. The tortoise is still tiny and the shell is very soft so I haven't handled it anymore than is absolutely necessary. I can take more photos if needed. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks
It looks as though your first impression may be correct. It looks like a desert tortoise to me as well (but I am not a true expert at distinguishing them from some other species).

If you don't want to keep it you can call the state wildlife department and they will probably take it.

Salty

Arizona
I'm thinking a desert tort but not 100% Will tag a few people that will know.
@Yvonne G @Markw84 @Tom.
Thank you for saving this poor fella. If he is a few years old he is undersized as you may have guessed.
Give warm soaks daily and good uvb. Basking temp of 95-100 and over all temp of 80 until the ID is determined.
Add calcium just a small pinch to its food 3 times a week.
Thanks, the more I look into it the more its looking like a desert tortoise. I am planning on building a proper indoor home for it today. I did not plan on getting this lil guy so I haven't had much time to prepare do you have any recommendations for a good UVB?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and thanks for rescuing the little guy.
If you can get him outside in the sun if it's warm enough. 3 to 4 hrs a week will be good enough for UVB until you get a light.
Don't buy the screw in bulb type that are coiled or looped. They are hard on their eyes. Get the Arcadia HO 5.0 it is like a flouresnt tube type. Good luck with your new friend.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is indeed a desert tortoise. That part is certain. Most likely the Sonoran desert tortoise because of your location. Gopherus morafkai Native to Arizona.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm thinking desert tortoise too. Maybe the previous owner just used the "bought" word instead of saying she "got" it whenever.

Salty

Arizona
Thanks guys, I have been soaking him daily, he can open both of his eyes now and they look a lot clearer than they did last week. It looks like he wants to eat but his coordination seems to be off, he bites at the food but misses then runs out of energy. I have been offering him rose leaves, kale, and other desert leaves that are native to Arizona from my Mother's garden.
I am still concerned with how soft his shell is. I know he needs sun but it's way to cold right now to put him outside (30-40 degrees) so I ordered a HO 5.0 florescent light that will be here Friday. I had emergency calls for work this weekend and didn't have time to build him a better setup so that's the plan for this week.
I have been reading quite a bit on all this but any tips would be appreciated. Any tips to help get him eating more would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20211212_212447.jpg
    IMG_20211212_212447.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 11

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You might have to feed him by hand and try to anticipate his head movement so he gets some food. I am hoping he is not blind but blind turtles learn how to survive. What color do the eyes look? Make sure you keep him a little warmer than usual. Like around 90° and when you're soaking him. Put some carrot baby food puree mixed in the water. The soaking tub in the picture. I would use one package of baby food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
cut the food up into small pieces and pile it up against a wall so it doens't move away from him as he bites at it.