Hello everyone :) A new hatchling leopard owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoDragonz

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone. I am Ron. I have 2 tortoise's. I just have a new Leopard hatchling and and I have a 6 year old Sulcata. My Sulcata is doing awesome :) and his name is Lil Bugger who is not so little anymore lol. My Leo's name is Tez.

My Leo doesnt seem to be very active which scares me and he usually likes to sleep a lot :( I have damp coco subtrate for him and sphagum moss. I use a mercury vapor lamp for both my Torts. His temps range from 80 to 100 and Humidity from 50 to 70%. I soak him daily for about 15 mins.

I just hope he is not ill and will get more active as he gets older :)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
welcome! congrats on the hatchling Leopard, i was looking into getting one myself but ended up being gifted a Sonoran DT instead. haha. now, hatchlings are like human babies, they sleep a bit more than normal. that being said, this sluggishness could be what hes going through now. your temps sound good, but your humidity should be bumped up to at least 80%. youre doing a great job. what do you feed him? have you noticed a drop in the amount he eats? and does he have a dark, humid hide he can retire to? be sure that the substrate is moist on the bottom, but kinda dry on top. if theyre on wet substrate all the time it is bad for their shell. i think Tom will step in any time now and give you some help too. now, can we get some pictures? haha

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Ron.

Most of my leopards are pretty shy, but when they're babies, I wake them up every morning, soak them, then put them in front of the food. When I see they've eaten, I let them be for the rest of the day. If they don't eat, I'll put them in front of the food every time I walk by the habitat until they do eat.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
My leopard hatchling, which I've had for 2 weeks now, eats a lot. He sleeps a lot too though.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
as Yvonne said, theyre shy. its really nothing to worry about so long as they are healthy and functioning properly. if he starts not eating, or being weird in any way, he should be okay and grow out of it.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome to the forum NeoDragonz/Ron! Leopards are cool. So are sulcatas.
If you just got your baby, remember this, it does not know you yet. Instinct probably says, "He may eat me." Babies are born with instinct to hide because in the savannah or desert, they are open season to so many animals that will make a meal out of little tortoises that do not hide out. So do not hover above baby or be around too much other than soaks and food. Remember to keep hydrated, helps so much. Boost up humidity to 80% like nate.mann already advised. And Yvonne's suggestions are right on also. Once your baby knows that you are the ahhhhh spaaaa guy and the food god, it will be more open, if that is its personality. Leopards can be very outgoing or very shy, full spectrum, like people, I guess. They are all beautiful. Those shells! Oh those shells, right?
Read-read-read, all kinds of great education on this forum, and ask away if you have further questions. Lastly, everyone loves pictures, so share your little with pictures with us when you can! : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) please read Toms threads at the bottom of my post. Both the sulcata and leopard one will apply to your leopard. Don't worry too much about keeping the top substrate dry either, that is mostly for Red foots that are prone to shell rot and needs high humidity.

NeoDragonz

5 Year Member
Thank you so much everyone for the welcome and for the tips and advice :) I have Tez ( Leo) In an open under the bed storage container which is quite big for him at the moment :) Is it possible for me to cover the top with a transparent glass or acrylic to maintain the humidity better? I have a hygrometer on the side of the box but at the moment it is showing 30% Humidity even when the lights are off and the coco coir is still wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.