New Tortoise Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carver, MA
Hello,
I'm new! My name is Marie and I received a Sulcata hatchling today. Look forward to learning a buttload more about them. Any little tips on them very much appreciated. I also have a Leopard Gecko, 90g Brackish fish tank, 1 horse, 1 goat, 2 Pitbulls & a cat. =]

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Marie! Merry Christmas and welcome! So who gave you the wonderful gift? Had you been expecting it or of getting one in the future? Is he your first tortoise? :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
no LITTLE tips with sulcatas... HA!
read their section and if you have questions... start asking!
WELCOME!

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
My sister got him for me. I wasn't totally expecting him since my mother told my sister "no" - or so she told me that she told my sister that. But I was still really hoping for one & I got him! He is my first & I'm pretty nervious with his diet & pyramiding. Tomorrow I have to hop over to Petco before work to get him some proper bedding for his home.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Oh My! Just how much do you know about the Sulcata? did you know they can grow to 200lbs and live over 100 years?

Please stop by the Sucata thread and read, read,read! Lucky for you, you came to this site for mthe very best Sulcata care!

BTW.... Welcome to the Forum Marie! ;)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
First let me just say welcome welcome welcome!!
We'd love to see pictures of your new baby sullie and I'm curious as to where you got him :)
Here are a whole bunch of really important links that you should read through. If you have questions about them you should go to the Sulcata part of the forum and post them. THere are so many people on here that know so much, its amazing

Care Sheets
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1hgHfp2Ws

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1hgHfp2Ws

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1hgHfp2Ws

More interesting threads about lighting and pyramidying

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding#axzz1hgHfp2Ws

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-End-Of-Pyramiding-II-The-Leopards#axzz1hgHfp2Ws

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Coil-Type-UV-Bulbs-Don-t-Use-Them#axzz1hgHfp2Ws

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Please, before you go and buy any supplies, go to the Sulcata section and read the "stickies" we have posted there. Especially how to raise healthy hatchlings. The pet store will try to sell you lots of things you don't need and it will be a waste of money.

May we know where you are?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Marie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Please, before you go and buy any supplies, go to the Sulcata section and read the "stickies" we have posted there. Especially how to raise healthy hatchlings. The pet store will try to sell you lots of things you don't need and it will be a waste of money.

May we know where you are?

I just went Sulcata stickie link crazy on them lol

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Welcome! all Brinn's links are the "quick tips" :D Congrats on the awesome gift and ask away if you need anything.

(BTW, Brinn, I hope you know the rest of us just wait for you to post all of the links for sulcata newbies that pop up since you always have that great "best of" post ready :p)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Welcome! all Brinn's links are the "quick tips" :D Congrats on the awesome gift and ask away if you need anything.

(BTW, Brinn, I hope you know the rest of us just wait for you to post all of the links for sulcata newbies that pop up since you always have that great "best of" post ready :p)

I feel so special!!! haha :) :)

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
Thanks for all the welcoming & links everyone! I'm from Carver, MA, right next to Plymouth. My sister got him from Tortoise Shack (.com). Right now he is currently in a glass aqaurium. I got the eco earth I beleive it's called (it expands from the block with water) as his substrate. I have his shallow terra cotta "water dish" level with his substrate for easy in & out. & I'm usually a small container lid as his dish to eat off of. I will be upgrading his living area really soon to a bigger space. Also I have a uvb light strip on him for 12 hours a day. & a heating pad under the warm side of the tank. However, I was recently reading up that the light strips are not effecient enough, is this true?
& I'll try to get some picture of my little guy up soon! I've also decied to name him (or her..) Toothless! May I also ask at what age can they properly be sexed at?
Thanks everyone!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
i use the long fluorescent tubes for UVB in my tortoises enclosure but I plan on changing that soon because Mercury Bulbs are much more realiable just make sure you have a temp gun and mount it at the correct height to make the basking spot right under the bulb 100 degrees, if its too hot it will burn your little tortoises skin. too much UVB and UVA and heat. Also don't mount the light at an angle, straight up and down. make it to where it shine on just one single part of the cage creating a basking area and not filling up the whole cage with light , and make sure your little tortoise has shaded areas and a humid hid to hide in
you can leave the flrourescent light though if you want, its a good light source.
I really like to have full spectrum long fluorescent tube lights because they simulate daylight with a bright bright bright white light that promotes activity and eating and such. I do not use them as a main source of UVB though

I think ( not sure at all here ) that they need to be 4-5 years old to be sexed, they aren't big enough until then. Maybe a unisex name ? lol

FBody355 said:
I've also decied to name him (or her..) Toothless!

OMG I just read that part, thats an awesome awesome name !

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Toothless.... good one, but will you still think so when you watch him mow your yard in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.