Hello everyone

Tacklebox

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
34430CD9-A694-48C4-BB1E-E2A8970FE9C4.jpeg I just got verified and would like to thank everyone for providing this valuable resource for tortoise lovers!
I recently acquired a hatchling sulcata. Its name is Danny Tortuga. Danny is about 2 and 1/4” and weighs about 37 grams. I’ve had him for 2 weeks now. I’ve read your site extensively before and after purchasing him and I have about 20 years experience keeping snakes and lizards. I have him in a 75gallon aquarium with a mvb basking light and a che. The substrate is about a 50/50 mix of cypress mulch and dirt from my organic garden. I keep the hot side between 100 and 110 degrees and the cool side runs about 75. He was eating mostly weeds but we just got some more snow here in northern Ohio so he’s on grocery chow now.
He is so little and I worry over him excessively but he seems to be thriving. He gets a daily soak in a Tupperware tub and I keep his substrate and hidey hole moist. I can’t wait for the weather to break and my garden to grow so he can get some fresh food and sunshine!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum! I’m sure you’ll love it here!
Your basking spot/warm side should only go up to 100, and your cool side should never go below 80. That goes for night too.
If you haven’t already, please give these a read :)
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Tacklebox

Ohio USA
Thanks for the tips.
I was thinking about getting some red worms to put in his substrate. Not for him to eat but to act as an underground cleanup crew. He spreads little bits of green stuff all over when he eats and I’m bound to miss some during cleanup. My thought was the worms would eat the organic matter he leaves and turn it into plant food for the little seedlings I’ve been growing in there with him. They are very efficient composters and the soil is deep enough that they shouldn’t cook.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for the tips.
I was thinking about getting some red worms to put in his substrate. Not for him to eat but to act as an underground cleanup crew. He spreads little bits of green stuff all over when he eats and I’m bound to miss some during cleanup. My thought was the worms would eat the organic matter he leaves and turn it into plant food for the little seedlings I’ve been growing in there with him. They are very efficient composters and the soil is deep enough that they shouldn’t cook.

I’ve thought about doing that too. They might get eaten, but it shouldn’t cause too much harm in small amounts. I think isopods and springtails might be a better choice, but that’s just personal preference :)

Tacklebox

Ohio USA
Haven’t posted in awhile. Danny is doing good. Eating well and growing. I’m concerned about his shedding. He has white skin under his shed skin on his neck and face. Is this normal? Looks like vitamin deficiency maybe? Any ideas

Attachments

• E138F162-38AB-49FA-842C-602CE6DB620D.jpeg
    E138F162-38AB-49FA-842C-602CE6DB620D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 8DB037A3-74AC-4A79-8DDB-8CFBDFCFB7D9.jpeg
    8DB037A3-74AC-4A79-8DDB-8CFBDFCFB7D9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • E509F3EB-7577-40E1-9D51-8940307C827C.jpeg
    E509F3EB-7577-40E1-9D51-8940307C827C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

LoonyLovegood

Colorado Springs, CO
Haven’t posted in awhile. Danny is doing good. Eating well and growing. I’m concerned about his shedding. He has white skin under his shed skin on his neck and face. Is this normal? Looks like vitamin deficiency maybe? Any ideas
What a cutie Danny is! I can't really see the white skin you speak of from the photos though; they're a bit out of focus.