Hello everyone!

NadiaIsMe

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte
Hi everyone! I am a new owner to a 3 month old Sulcata Tortoise named Bowser. I have wanted one since I spotted one in high school and asked questions and researched until I was in the position to. Buying more additions to help the humidity in the future. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4378.jpeg
    IMG_4378.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 5

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi everyone! I am a new owner to a 3 month old Sulcata Tortoise named Bowser. I have wanted one since I spotted one in high school and asked questions and researched until I was in the position to. Buying more additions to help the humidity in the future. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum! Bowser is absolutely adorable! Congratulations on your new baby!

I’ve never raised a sulcata so I’m sure other more experienced members can chime in on the set up but it looks pretty good to me! I’d probably personally add another little hidey spot or so, also unfortunately some members have found the type of water dish your using to be hazard for young little torts, in the event they are to accidentally flip in there, they lack grip, also the high sides can pose a flipping hazard, I think a large shallow terracotta dish is considered safest, sitting flush with the substrate😊

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. Some stuff I see from the pics that need changing ASAP is the two bowls with ramps. The water bowls is a flipping and drowning hazard. Replace them ASAP with a low sided clay saucer
The enclosure needs to be covered to keep in humidity to 80% or you will cause pyramiding.
The gauges need to be at tortoise height not way up at the top where it will always be warmer then at tortoise height.
The substrate needs to be hand packed down and then wetter. Make the changes ASAP.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@NadiaIsMe ... Welcome. It sounds like you have been a tort fan for a while, congrats on finally achieving your goal. This is just a "Me" thing but, I love to give tortoises a BIG area with no barriers (either visual or physical) to walk. Of course this is only a supervised activity, to let them walk uninterrupted. Walking is a crucial part of their life and health especially the large species (land giants). It's not a very popular thing here but I love to let our tortoises see the world they are in, all of it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum! I hope you can get a portable greenhouse to cover the entire enclosure so that the required 80 percent humidity level can be maintained, along with the lights and temperatures advised here already. All the best for your cute little tortoise!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hi and welcome to the forum! I hope you can get a portable greenhouse to cover the entire enclosure so that the required 80 percent humidity level can be maintained, along with the lights and temperatures advised here already. All the best for your cute little tortoise!
YES. This is a necessity. You need humidity or your not giving him what he needs. Maybe you could just cover 60% of it with a piece of plywood, skinned in plastic of some kind (Plastic bag, Trash bag, shower curtain,etc.)