Hello Everyone!

hippohugger13

5 Year Member
My name is Ray (I like to take this time to say that I am a girl and I know the name is confusing but its a nickname for Rhiannon if any of you are Fleetwood Mac fans). I live in Southern California and I technically do not have a tortoise yet. Buuuut I have just been informed that I will be adopting/rescuing a 2 year old Russian named Wilbur. I haven't met Wilbur yet but he needs a home and we (my boyfriend and I) have been preparing to get a Russian for almost a year now so naturally we are very excited! We already have a dog, a cockatiel, 2 African Dwarf Frogs, and various fish so adding a tort to our family seems like adopting another kid!
I am an Animal Behavioral major and have worked with Galapagos tortoises for quite a while now so I am not to worried about caring for Wilbur, but if any of you have tips or comments please send em my way!

Glad to be on the forum!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Welcome! I have two in my garden, Yakov and Checkov. I love watching them run around and explore. You are going to love him! So much personality.

janed100

5 Year Member
near Cambridge, UK
Hello Ray - welcome from another very new forum user. Fleetwood Mac - still love to hear The Chain introducing the F1 GPs. And what a wonderful thing to be able to do - working with Galapagos tortoises.

Many years ago, for our 25th wedding anniversary, my husband and I spent 3 weeks in The Seychelles, where we met Giant tortoises (Aldabra??) - scores of them - so exciting.

And, USA people - it's good to know that you differentiate between tortoises and turtles - all the kids' cartoons etc.. appear to call them all turtles. I believed everyone in the US called them turtles until I found this forum!!

And I've already learnt something new from the forum. I have Mediterranean torts - read that they like vine leaves - how obvious was that? So many grape vines growing in the Med. But I'd never thought about it. Anyway, we have grapes growing in our greenhouse - sure enough, the tors love the leaves.

hippohugger13

5 Year Member
Hey!

Aldabra torts are some if my favorites! Also in the US if someone knows anything about animals they usually distinguish between four types of turtles/tortoises. Technically tortoises are turtles but turtles are not tortoises. In California we have sea turtles, tortoises, water/river turtles, and box turtles (a turtle that doesn't live in water as much as on land but still needs water more than a tortoise). So thats confusing enough!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi ray, and welcome to the Forum!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...love FleetWood Mac now thats my generation.. good luck with your new addition. Don't forget to post a pic when you get her/him...

hippohugger13

5 Year Member
Will,

Chelonians is the order encompassing all turtles, tortoises included, right? In animal behavioral studies we use a lot of layman's terms when referring to groups (at least in California). Do you study or work in a field involving a lot of nomenclature? I can't imagine always using, say, "cetacean" for "whale" haha!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
hippohugger13 said:
Will,

Chelonians is the order encompassing all turtles, tortoises included, right? In animal behavioral studies we use a lot of layman's terms when referring to groups (at least in California). Do you study or work in a field involving a lot of nomenclature? I can't imagine always using, say, "cetacean" for "whale" haha!

Well, as all whales are cetaceans, but not all cetaceans are whales, I would use the most precise term relative to what I am talking about.

If it's 10:32 and someone asks me "What time is it?" I say 10:32, not 10:30. hahahahhahah precise is what you make it, or what I make it.

I tend to talk/write "up" to an audience. That is, to expect them to feel/be a bit stretched from what I have said. I don't find talking to people at some level less than their ability to understand and comprehend acceptable.

I am infrequently asked to better clarify what I mean, in PM's or e-mail, or via direct dialogue here in the forum. I do my best to both restate what I mean, and bracket out of the concept, with what I don't mean.

The response here was to characterizing that some 'technical' use of turtle was both appropriate and common. My experience is that your explanation was nether technical or correct. I stated what I thought/think is technically correct. "Turtles" in the US more or less means all chelonians.

Had the explanation been referred to as common accepted uses, and then followed with the explanation, well it would not have peaked my interest or response.

I have seen pet shops where the area labels on the wall were "aves", "Pisces" etc. and a Fish and Chips restaurant called "Pisces and Potatoes" which allows me the opportunity to believe that this level of technical name use is both common, and well know. On the other side of this perspective I have seen Veterinarian practices list that they offer services for "Small mammals, birds, reptiles and turtles" like turtles aren't reptiles or something?

So "whatever" covers it, right(?), 'cause from an animal behaviorist's POV, chelonian is greater than simply technical, chelonian is super technical? Thought dogma is the enemy of real thinking.

See how I 'bridged' your retort into further critical thinking, out loud and available to those who would read it. Thanks for the great set-up!

Again, Hello, welcome to TFO.

Will

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Welcome. But I don't think Will was trying to be rude. I think he was merely debating with you.
I have a russian tortoise, and they can be great!