Hello from AZ!

Irenegh

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello,
My name is Irene and I have 3 desert tortoises and 1 sulcata. We have had two of the desert tortoises for about 10 years, the third came to us earlier this year, and the sulcata was found as a baby after a rainstorm about 2 years ago. Their names in that order are Gobi (aggressive male), Mojave (laid back male), Sonora (female), and Kizyl (sulcata). We have a habitat in the yard split in two - Kizyl is in one side and the other side is open and allows the larger tortoises to roam the yard but have somewhere shady to come back to. Their main source of food is the grass and other plants in our yard but I feed them kale, cilantro, parsley, and carrots regularly. I actually just started giving Kizyl grass from the yard after reading a post on this site which prompted me to join! I'm hoping to find this is a good resource for tortoise care so I can keep these guys healthy for a very long time!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Irene!

Is your yard big enough that Kizyl will have his own space when he outgrows his indoor digs?

Irenegh

Arizona
Thanks for the welcome! Kizyl is actually in an outdoor enclosure now. It is one large "enclosure" with a wall down the center. Kizyl's section is completely enclosed but the other section has an opening so the larger tortoises can roam in and out as they need to (and to hibernate). Kizyl has never been kept indoors. I would like a recommendation for a substrate for him, though. I think he needs more moisture than what he is currently getting. His enclosure is dirt with several shaded areas and two small water dishes. I wet down his enclosure daily and make sure he soaks before I feed him. I think the dryness in AZ requires more humidity from a substrate than he is currently getting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rather than making his whole space humid, I would strive for making his hiding place humid. You can stuff it with sphagnum moss or leaves and keep it moist (not wet).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Irene and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Gobi, Mojave, Sonora and Kizyl.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello,
My name is Irene and I have 3 desert tortoises and 1 sulcata. We have had two of the desert tortoises for about 10 years, the third came to us earlier this year, and the sulcata was found as a baby after a rainstorm about 2 years ago. Their names in that order are Gobi (aggressive male), Mojave (laid back male), Sonora (female), and Kizyl (sulcata). We have a habitat in the yard split in two - Kizyl is in one side and the other side is open and allows the larger tortoises to roam the yard but have somewhere shady to come back to. Their main source of food is the grass and other plants in our yard but I feed them kale, cilantro, parsley, and carrots regularly. I actually just started giving Kizyl grass from the yard after reading a post on this site which prompted me to join! I'm hoping to find this is a good resource for tortoise care so I can keep these guys healthy for a very long time!!

A very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Would love to see pics of your torts.:tort: