Hello from Dexter!

optycal

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello, I'm Optycal, mom of Dexter the 2-year-old Western Hermann's. I've been cruising this forum for years in preparation for Dexter's arrival. You've all been so important to me and to Dex. I just wanted to say hi and introduce my sweet little man. Because of all the great people here and all the good advice, Dexter's transition to my home from Garden State Tortoise was extremely smooth and simple. He's a great little fella, and we're already good friends.

Attachments

• DexterRoar.jpg
    DexterRoar.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DexterMood.jpg
    DexterMood.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Dexter is very cute 🥰

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. How old is Dexter?
That disc for temp etc, needs to be replaced with a digital and placed lower, at tortoise height. Those disc ones are unreliable and not accurate.

optycal

Washington
Hello and Welcome. How old is Dexter?
That disc for temp etc, needs to be replaced with a digital and placed lower, at tortoise height. Those disc ones are unreliable and not accurate.
Thank you for your concern, but it's not necessary. That isn't the only sensor in his enclosure. There are 5 more at varying heights in each of his "biomes" of his multi-level, custom enclosure. 4 of the others are digital. The 2 disk-types are my backups in case we lose power or the batteries die in the others. The one you can see in the picture is the proper height for that area--what you cannot see in the image is the basking rock just out of frame that's about mid-line with that disk. You can just see one of his plants cascading down the side of it.

We have tested and calibrated everything for Dex, and we have backups and redundancies for everything. His bioactive enclosure wraps around my home office--you're seeing a fraction of his indoor home. Thanks though.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you for your concern, but it's not necessary. That isn't the only sensor in his enclosure. There are 5 more at varying heights in each of his "biomes" of his multi-level, custom enclosure. 4 of the others are digital. The 2 disk-types are my backups in case we lose power or the batteries die in the others. The one you can see in the picture is the proper height for that area--what you cannot see in the image is the basking rock just out of frame that's about mid-line with that disk. You can just see one of his plants cascading down the side of it.

We have tested and calibrated everything for Dex, and we have backups and redundancies for everything. His bioactive enclosure wraps around my home office--you're seeing a fraction of his indoor home. Thanks though.
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like a great enclosure! Can you make a little tour of it? Maybe an album in the Media section with some comments under the photos (but whatever is convenient for you). I'm interested in what plants you use (I see at least tradescantia and pothos and something I don't know).

Moss is something what concerns me. All recent care sheets here on TFO recommend not to use it because of impaction risks. High humidity can be achieved without it. But I've seen that Chris uses it and some other keepers do as well.

optycal

Washington
Hello and welcome!

Sounds like a great enclosure! Can you make a little tour of it? Maybe an album in the Media section with some comments under the photos (but whatever is convenient for you). I'm interested in what plants you use (I see at least tradescantia and pothos and something I don't know).

Moss is something what concerns me. All recent care sheets here on TFO recommend not to use it because of impaction risks. High humidity can be achieved without it. But I've seen that Chris uses it and some other keepers do as well.
Sure! I'll get some more pics together as soon as I have some time =)

Some of his other live plants are prayer plant, spider plants, endive, romaine lettuce, clovers, cat grass, and a bunch of dandelions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Oh good, you got everything covered and then some.
I agree, more pics would be great. So many with limited space is always looking for ideas to expand their enclosure. Seeing how you did one around the room would give them some ideas to pull from.
A video needs to be uploaded to YouTube first and then shared here if you wanted to do a vid.
Pictures, well you know how to do that.

optycal

Washington
Oh good, you got everything covered and then some.
I agree, more pics would be great. So many with limited space is always looking for ideas to expand their enclosure. Seeing how you did one around the room would give them some ideas to pull from.
A video needs to be uploaded to YouTube first and then shared here if you wanted to do a vid.
Pictures, well you know how to do that.
Oh goodness, a video is a great idea! I'll see what I can do to get that in order. I haven't done anything on Youtube before.

We're in the middle of building and planting his outdoor safe area while our weather is nice. I'll add that in as well!