Hello from New York!

Samantha S.

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone, I am a longtime "lurker" of tortoise forum and I finally made an account!
I am the proud mama of a female Russian Tortoise (Tootsie), rescued from a horrible situation and was being sold on craigslist (poor diet, poor husbandry, small class enclosure, etc).. I also have two RES.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to inherit a lovely red footed tortoise, named Tortellini :]

My question is..is it okay to house he red footed and the russian tortoise together? I have them together temporarily because getting him was a complete surprise to me.... my friend is moving and can't take him and randomly brought him to my house. I know that Tootsie is a desert species, and Tortellini is a tropical, so they will have different requirements as far as food goes...just not sure about their housing situation.

Thanks for any advice!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No, it's not a good idea. I would get the RF out of the Russians enclosure ASAP, as the Russian is probably wild caught and could pass on bad pathogens/worms, etc that your RF may not have or have any immunities to fight off. Even if you have to put it in a cardboard box until you get a proper enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Samantha, and welcome to the Forum!

Even if you have to put one into a cardboard box, separate them immediately! It is not a good idea for new tortoise-keepers to mix species...especially when one of the species is a Russian tortoise. Russian tortoises come into this country very dirty (dirty=full of parasites and bad micro-organisms), and he could possibly make your RF tortoise ill or even dead.

Once you have the new habitat containers in hand, the RF tortoise is going to require a humid/moist environment, while the Russian tortoise will need a drier environment.

We have two Russian tortoise care sheets for you to read, one is for babies and the other takes you up to full grown. You can find them pinned at the top of our Russian tortoise section.

Our RF tortoise care sheet can be found in Tortoise Library

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Welcome fellow New Yorker! Upstate, western, finger lakes, Hudson valley, Long Island, NYC? If you're comfortable answering, just wondering :)

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Welcome! I am a New Yorker as well. Upstate area. Here comes the cold weather!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome.
I try to not look at Craig's list anymore did a similar thing with an abused Redfoot and with my other torts have my hands full.

I hope you have good luck with your new one It can be gratifying to give them a good environment when they've had a rough start.

Since RF 's are omnivores & eat such a variety of foods , I'm having fun trying to give her the nutrition she needs.

Hope yours grows big & strong :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Samantha and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Tootsie, Tortellini and your two sliders.
Read, learn, contribute ask questions and have fun!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everyone, I am a longtime "lurker" of tortoise forum and I finally made an account!
I am the proud mama of a female Russian Tortoise (Tootsie), rescued from a horrible situation and was being sold on craigslist (poor diet, poor husbandry, small class enclosure, etc).. I also have two RES.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to inherit a lovely red footed tortoise, named Tortellini :]

My question is..is it okay to house he red footed and the russian tortoise together? I have them together temporarily because getting him was a complete surprise to me.... my friend is moving and can't take him and randomly brought him to my house. I know that Tootsie is a desert species, and Tortellini is a tropical, so they will have different requirements as far as food goes...just not sure about their housing situation.

Thanks for any advice!!
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort: