Hello from Pensacola (Pace) FL

mrtille

Location (City and/or State)
Pace FL
Hello Everyone,

I'm Merrill and it's great to be here. I am a new red footed tortoise owner and I purchased her over the past weekend. Her name is Tsuni, and she is a month old. I have been trying to establish her new home in a tortoise tank, but having issues maintaining the right humidity. Can send pictures of my setup. I do have a reptifogger on and I mist a couple times a day, but it won't stay up. I have mostly plastic ornaments in the tanks.to help with adjustment, and using the ego earth mix.

Since being here, she mostly hides and I understand that she may be stressed. Have begun doing soaks every other day. I got her to eat just once with the Forest pellets but after that she goes and hides again. Don't want to hurt the newbie so if there is anyone out there who can help me I would appreciate it.

As of this evening, Temps on Warm side 93 degrees/ Cold side 80 degrees / Humidity fluctuated between 60-80%

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Is your tank completely enclosed so no moisture can get out? Send some pics of your setup and Tsuni and I am sure the members can get you in the right direction.
And Welcome

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
My brother and his family live in Pace.
You'll need to look up CLOSED CHAMBER posts.
A closed chamber enclosure will get you going in the right direction.
Also, remember: No bright lights. No high heat. Humid. Hides.
Florescent tube strip light. 72 to 85 night and day temps. Humidity up over 70%.

mrtille

Pace FL
Hi Everyone,

Thanks So MUCH for all of the replies! Attached are some photos so far. Still a work in progress.

But Tsuni came out today on her own! and was snuggled on the warm side when I came in from work. She also was hungry so I gave her a spring mix of greens. It was such a relief for me to see that. But I will keep close eye on temps and humidity.

Today I went to Lowes and got a small piece of clear plastic to cover about 3/4 of tank. The humidity is holding for now at just above 70 %. Also got live potted plants to help with it as well.

The AC really goes in my house, so I had a ceramic andred light going at same time. But took one down to see how the plastic cover will work.
UVB 10 gets cut off at nite though and I have a timer for that.

If there is anything I'm missing, let me know. She is a baby. Have to now get her on a schedule for. Any ideas for feeding and soaks?

Attachments

• 20180731_175132.jpg
    20180731_175132.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180728_105850.jpg
    20180728_105850.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180731_175022.jpg
    20180731_175022.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20180731_175132.jpg
    20180731_175132.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180731_175151.jpg
    20180731_175151.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

mrtille

Pace FL
Welcome.
My brother and his family live in Pace.
You'll need to look up CLOSED CHAMBER posts.
A closed chamber enclosure will get you going in the right direction.
Also, remember: No bright lights. No high heat. Humid. Hides.
Florescent tube strip light. 72 to 85 night and day temps. Humidity up over 70%.

Can you send me a picture of the close chamber example. The tank I had is one from ZooMeds, maybe another one is more sufficient as you say.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't currently have a photo.
Mine is a large, low sided glass aquarium with a hinged plexiglass lid.
I have a florescent 18" 5.0 tube light fixture mounted to the inside of the lid.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Merrill!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hi Everyone,

Thanks So MUCH for all of the replies! Attached are some photos so far. Still a work in progress.

But Tsuni came out today on her own! and was snuggled on the warm side when I came in from work. She also was hungry so I gave her a spring mix of greens. It was such a relief for me to see that. But I will keep close eye on temps and humidity.

Today I went to Lowes and got a small piece of clear plastic to cover about 3/4 of tank. The humidity is holding for now at just above 70 %. Also got live potted plants to help with it as well.

The AC really goes in my house, so I had a ceramic andred light going at same time. But took one down to see how the plastic cover will work.
UVB 10 gets cut off at nite though and I have a timer for that.

If there is anything I'm missing, let me know. She is a baby. Have to now get her on a schedule for. Any ideas for feeding and soaks?

You don't need that red bulb. The ceramic heat emitter, a 50-60w should be more than enough to produce the necessary temperature levels for an tank of that size provided that it is completely covered with either aluminum foil, foam insulation boards, blankets, cardboard etc.

Keep your light fixtures inside the tank. Remove the clamps and place them on top/inside of the cover. Make sure the florescent tube is actually a uvb reptile rated light.

Hatchlings require constant care. Daily soakings. Red-foots require: mainly greens > some fruits, > and weekly animal protein.

Consider a larger enclosure in the very near/immediate future.