Hello from Raleigh, NC!

Megg

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
Hi! I'm new to this forum, but have owned my red footed tortoise, Edgar, for 3 years. I got him at a Repticon in Myrtle Beach in 2012. He is a very amusing little fellow.

What brings me to the forum is my interest in making a better habitat for Edgar. I am interested in building a realistic habitat with live, edible plants and as much mental stimulation as possible because Edgar has become bored. He has begun waking me up earlier and earlier every morning (he has me trained well) because of boredom.

Anyway, hello tortoise forum!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi! I'm new to this forum, but have owned my red footed tortoise, Edgar, for 3 years. I got him at a Repticon in Myrtle Beach in 2012. He is a very amusing little fellow.

What brings me to the forum is my interest in making a better habitat for Edgar. I am interested in building a realistic habitat with live, edible plants and as much mental stimulation as possible because Edgar has become bored. He has begun waking me up earlier and earlier every morning (he has me trained well) because of boredom.

Anyway, hello tortoise forum!!!
Welcome. I also keep Redfoot and it DOES seem to me that they actually can and do become bored. Or at least stressed if there isn't enough area to walk around, etc. The bigger the enclosure you can provide with the correct humidity, temperature and food, the better.
However, I've tried many times to have edible plants in several different enclosures and in indoor and outdoor pens and it never worked out very well. They always get trampled or eaten right away. I've found that purely decorative plants will last for longer, but still get destroyed.
Please post photos of what you end up with and update us on the progress.

Alaskamike

South Florida
One trick I've used with edible plants is to use plastic flower pots. You can grow them in the pot till right size , then sink the pot in the substrata level with the ground. That way he can eat the plant and when it's getting decimated you can take it out , replace with another , and let that one recover and grow again.

I used to have several dozen plants like this on windowsills all the time.
And rotated them through.

Good fortune with yours :)

Megg

Raleigh, NC
Thanks everyone!! I will reconsider using all live plants, but I do want at least a couple so SHE (yep, I looked last night and she's a girl- not changing her name though) has something to nibble on and keep her mind occupied. As she grows, she becomes more and more amusing and dog-like, really.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Welcome, and yes my Red Foot also has many dog-like characteristics. They are such funny and interesting creatures.... just a little lacking in the home security benefits of a dog though.... That's what the Aldabra's are for!

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Oh and you may see on here, but some people use ramps or little "mazes" to keep the tort moving. We are working on something for ours now. Others put ping pong balls in and the torts like to push them around. Ours just tried to eat the ping pong ball.......

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome!
I just got a cherry head the other day!

WE LOVE PICTURES HERE! So feel free :) :)