Hello From RI

truebloodmorelia

5 Year Member
Hello my name is Brandon and I have come across this forum by it win of Readers Choice for 2013

Congrats and here is to a great 2014 year as well.

I also would like to start off with I have little keeping experience with torts but with my kids really enjoying them and they cant fully play with my morelia and liasis torts would be a great idea.

We currently have a rescued Sulcata and my oldest really enjoys her. Caleb is not 100% on the morelia or liasis but loves the idea of Daddy breeding them and would like to aspire to breed someday some torts. My question to you is what would you suggest for a small easy tort to pair up and breed. My thoughts are Greeks or Russians. We love our AST but living in New England out door enclosures are only in season 1/2 the year and I wouldn't like to breed them.

Thanks
Brandon

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Those are both good tortoises, you might also want to add the hermanni to the short list, too.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I was like "what?!" reading the title, as my mind immediately jumped to RI= Respiratory Infection not Rhode island..
Oops.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Brandon welcome to the TFO from AZ . You are thinking about breeding then let's rule out the RT 's they are loners they don't do well ( they get mean to each other ) in pairs . Greeks are great torts . But good luck with your torts and future .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandon, and welcome to the forum!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome Brandon,
Your kids have taste when it comes to pets. Smaller tortoises like the ones you mentioned are a great idea, as well as the other one suggested. You could also look at the leopard tortoises. They are larger, but not huge. The really neat thing, though I don't know your kids ages, as tortoises live a very long time, your kids could ultimately have a lifelong companion.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome to the forum:) how is the weather there throughout the year her you are in RI?

truebloodmorelia

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Welcome Brandon,
Your kids have taste when it comes to pets. Smaller tortoises like the ones you mentioned are a great idea, as well as the other one suggested. You could also look at the leopard tortoises. They are larger, but not huge. The really neat thing, though I don't know your kids ages, as tortoises live a very long time, your kids could ultimately have a lifelong companion.
life long is no problem my kids are 9,4 and 1 lol so plenty of life and commitment to them.

As to the Weather it is single digits right now but I would say we get to cold for most out door Ideas. April-Sept are ok with lows around 50* and highs around 90* very few days 90+

thought of Leos but also wanted to stay smaller scale for the kids first and move into leos and maybe stars down the line.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. If you decide to breed torts, please explain the dangers of having dogs around torts to potential buyers. I suggest you read Tom's threads below. It's a true eye-opener.