Hello from SW Ohio!

Tortox

Location (City and/or State)
Oxford, OH
Our family (mom, dad, 9 yo son and 2 cattle dogs) is researching information on tortoises with the aim of raising one or more as pets. We live in the country and want to build an outdoor enclosure for the warmer months, and an indoor table for the cooler parts of the year. This forum looks like a great resource and we'll spend a lot of time reading through posts for information and design ideas. If any of you live close to Oxford, OH, we'd love to hear from you and share your experiences with tortoise husbandry in our climate. BTW, the box turtle in my avatar is just a local resident, we don't keep box turtles as pets. We do have some magnificent box turtles wandering around our woods, that's for sure!

Heather H

N.E. ohio
hi and welcome. Im in ohio but not close to you. the kind you get is hard. I am going to get a russian or herman. things you need to figure out is how much space you have. some get really big. look through the different enclosures and theres a section called species specific . good luck. this is a great site. the people here are very helpful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Russian tortoises are good first tortoises, and are pretty forgiving of poor care while you're learning how to care for him. Also, they hibernate in the winter, so you really wouldn't need an indoor set up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Love your native neighbor! :) Welcome to TFO. Do you have any ideas yet which tortoise types you might be interested in?

Tortox

Oxford, OH
We have been thinking about Red-Footed tortoises primarily or possibly a Herman's We want an animal that is fairly easy to feed and house. I think the winters here may be too extreme for tortoises to hibernate successfully. Also, I'd prefer a species whose reason for being isn't to dig deep burrows, especially if it will spend it's winters in a table indoors. I am open to suggestions and advice.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
We have been thinking about Red-Footed tortoises primarily or possibly a Herman's We want an animal that is fairly easy to feed and house. I think the winters here may be too extreme for tortoises to hibernate successfully. Also, I'd prefer a species whose reason for being isn't to dig deep burrows, especially if it will spend it's winters in a table indoors. I am open to suggestions and advice.
welcome to the forums! hibernation for tortoises is not mandatory so you can decide to hibernate them or not. red foots get kinda large, i would recommend the hermans the stay small but like all torts they needs a large enclosure.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome! I'm in northern central OH! I have a russian, a box turtle, and a sulcata. I do not hibernate.