Hello from Texas.

aejones

Location (City and/or State)
El Paso
1ED6EDCB-ECB6-4604-81F2-9D0B7CC2B1E1.jpeg 89443C2A-553E-4AB5-9702-B78BFD309ED2.jpeg Hi my name is Amanda and I’m from El Paso, TX. I recently added to my family two baby sulcatas which are about a month old. Both seem to be adjusting well. Wanted to know if there was a safe way to label them and when can I tell what their sex is. Thank you.

Amanda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amanda and welcome! Are you sure those are sulcatas? The shells look more like desert tortoises. But the scales on the front legs look more like sulcatas.

At any rate, be sure to soak them daily in warm water for about 15 minutes, and read our stickies pinned at the top of the sulcata section.

aejones

El Paso
BE4DC74C-BA74-404E-9AD4-A5C18B25AC8C.jpeg Okay I will soak them every day. I usually do it every three times a week.

Yes they are sulcatas. Here’s another photo

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the space and resources to handle TWO bulldozer tortoises? Most ppl have their hands full with one...at this age, you should be soaking daily.

Way too early to determine the sex....

aejones

El Paso
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the space and resources to handle TWO bulldozer tortoises? Most ppl have their hands full with one...at this age, you should be soaking daily.

Way too early to determine the sex....

I have a large backyard. It’s two levels and the only promblem I have is that the large space is up stairs. How long do I keep them inside before I move them outside. They are about 4wks old now.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have a large backyard. It’s two levels and the only promblem I have is that the large space is up stairs. How long do I keep them inside before I move them outside. They are about 4wks old now.

These babies need to be kept in a closed chamber indoors for the first couple of years at least.

You are not going to be able to lift them up and down stairs in a few years time.

They should not be kept together. They are very territorial and the the dominant one will be making subtle hints for the subordinate one to leave. The subordinate one will fail to grow as well as the dominant one and could become very sick. They need to be kept entirely separately