Hello from the Hospital :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Hey guys, I've been on a waiting list for a cartilage transplant for a year now and finally got the call Friday that I got a donor, so I'm at the hospital bored out of my mind and missing my tortoises :( Just thought I'd say Hi, surgery is tomorrow at 8am. Wish me luck, good thing I have this forum or I'd have absolutely nothing to do :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I bet you were happy to get that call! Sorry you're bored, maybe they have some reading material in the waiting areas? Thank goodness for this forum and for the internet in general, a constant source of entertainment. Best wishes to you on you surgery tomorrow, and for a speedy recovery!

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Thank You, I'm actually in my room, I have reading material packed but I'm a bit nervous so I'm having a hard time focusing on anything.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Were you waiting for cartilage for meniscus replacement surgery? It can also be known as alograph surgery. I only ask because I had surgery 2 years ago to repair my torn ACL and while they were in there they had to remove my medial meniscus and they said I could repair that by having the aforementioned procedure.

Best of luck!

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
It's Osteochondral allograft transplantation surgery, thats all i know, lol I chipped a bone in my knee and the cartilage went with it, so i've been waiting for a cadaver to donate to me for a year. I'm at the only hospital in Canada that can do the procedure and the doctor thats performing the surgery is the doctor that pioneered it, so I'm confident everything will go well (fingers crossed)

marty- cartilage is in between the bones to prevent the bones from rubbing each other.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Good luck on your surgery tomorrow and let us know how everything goes. :)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That IS the exact surgery I need!! Very cool!! I was very nervous about the 2 knee surgeries I had to have and my husband told me that thousands of people have surgery every day and are just fine. That made me feel better so I hope it helps a little.

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Thanks again guys.

CtTortoiseMom- are you on a donor list? I had a choice to either have the surgery or have half a knee replacement but since im only 26 the didn't want to do the replacement. Thats very true and it does help, I just remember the pain from my first surgery so thats whats making me nervous. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am not on a donor list because I cannot handle the recovery yet. Plus I am in no pain without a meniscus. They said I could have a good 5 years or more if I am careful. I try to be but I still hike and bike and play with the kids. I also do a little running. I am 31 and was 28 when I had my original knee surgeries.

On a side note my 11 year old tore her ACL last year and had it surgically repaired as well she was only released from physical therapy 2 months ago. She played premiere soccer and unfortunately it was too much for her growing legs. So sad that I had to learn that lesson.

One more thing... Regarding your pain, I was in a world of pain and I really hate narcotics because they make me all cloudy. So I explained this to my surgeon and when I woke up in all that pain they brought the anesthesiologist in to give me a femoral nerve block. It numbed the nerves in my legs and I did not feel anything for 48 hours with no drugs. The only down side is that my husband had to carry me around for a couple of days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Johnathan:

Good luck tomorrow! And in the mean time, read all those old posts that you never read...wa-a-a-ay back to 1997!! Get all caught up, there's going to be a test at the end.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
good luck, i had a tiny surgery and i was so nervous about going under that they shot me twice w/ some brown juice that made me go to lala land lol and then i woke up lol recovery part was easy.. my prayers are with ya :D see u tomorrow after u wake up

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good luck for tomorrow! I am sending you plenty of positive thoughts :). I hope you have a speedy recovery :) Please let us know how it goes xx

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm sure you will be fine. You have lots of people here sending good thought's you way....prayers and hugs...and keep us posted on your recovery.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Your going to do fine! Just know we are all here silently cheering you on. Keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.