Hello from TN!

Ashleydearx

Location (City and/or State)
Chattanooga, TN
Hello there from TN here!
I’m new here about tortoises. I’ve alway had RES growing up. I’m looking to get a tortoise now! I wanna learn as much as i can about these beauties. I’ve been working on a tortoise table. I just can’t decide on which type of tortoise we should get. I’m torn between a RF or a RT.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
If you are starting with a hatchling, a tortoise table won't work. You need a closed chamber, not open like a table. Russian tortoises are great! They can use a 4x8 table when grown, but should live outdoors most of the time in a 4x8 or larger enclosure. A RF does better/thrives in high humidity as a hatchling and an adult and needs lots of room.

Baby Russian Tortoise care sheet (also for other herbivorous tortoise species)
Here is a good sheet to help with Russian care.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Also, tortoises do best by themselves. Many pet shops and some breeders will convince you to get two. Only get one, or you will have to build two enclosures.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Hello there from TN here!
I’m new here about tortoises. I’ve alway had RES growing up. I’m looking to get a tortoise now! I wanna learn as much as i can about these beauties. I’ve been working on a tortoise table. I just can’t decide on which type of tortoise we should get. I’m torn between a RF or a RT.
I forgot to say, WELCOME! I forgot my manners. Glad you joined. You will find the most up to date tortoise care on this forum. Much info that you find through google and youtube is very wrong and harmful for tortoises. Stick to this forum and your tortoise will thrive.

Ashleydearx

Chattanooga, TN
Thank you for the information i have been resign up on information, but this site is so much better than anywhere else of info! I am leaning towards the Russians, they sound like a better fit for us here. I have been looking at different sites at the RF & RT, i just wasn’t sure if I’d rather get a hatchling or try to find an older one that needs a home!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Thank you for the information i have been resign up on information, but this site is so much better than anywhere else of info! I am leaning towards the Russians, they sound like a better fit for us here. I have been looking at different sites at the RF & RT, i just wasn’t sure if I’d rather get a hatchling or try to find an older one that needs a home!
I've seen them available on Craigslist.

Ashleydearx

Chattanooga, TN
I forgot to say, WELCOME! I forgot my manners. Glad you joined. You will find the most up to date tortoise care on this forum. Much info that you find through google and youtube is very wrong and harmful for tortoises. Stick to this forum and your tortoise will thrive.

I’ve noticed all that all the stuff from google and YouTube is Way off from reading stuff on this site! And thank you very much

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
6679406681.html

I found this in Louisville, but the seller is very misinformed. Someone needs to buy them, and separate them. The bullying is even seen in the photos.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome I am partial to my sully. But being my first tort how could I not be.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! I'm a first time tortoise keeper to a Russian. He's pretty great :)

Denmark
Welcome i suggest Russians they are active and great pets so inspiring hope you enjoy it on here and hope you learn a lot.