Help from TN

JCC

HI everyone! I hope someone can help us out. We recently relocated to TN from CA. We have 3 Russian Torts that are a year old. We adopted them at 3 weeks old. We love them very much. In CA we built an amazing outdoor enclosure. We dug down 2-3 feet and put in plastic fencing to prevent escapes. We made it about 6 feet tall so we could be in there and hang out with them. It was amazing, but obviously the enclosure was left behind. We have been here 3 weeks and I feel bad for them keeping them indoors. We can build another enclosure, but it is sooooo hot and humid out there. Is this location okay for them? I want them to thrive, not just be. I worry about the crazy amount of bugs and ants....could they hurt them? I have looked and looked online, but there isn't much info online about torts and the South. I told our 6 year old tonight that we might need to find them a better home...that TN might not be a good place for them. She lost it. She loves them so much. Broke my heart! Help! Thanks :)

The Tortoise Garden

Location (City and/or State)
West Palm Beach, FL
Hi JCC. I'm not as familiar with Russians as with some other tort species, but from what I do know, they are one of the most adaptable when it comes to temperature. You may need to acclimate them to the warmer temperatures, but they should adjust. I have sulcatas & I live in South Florida so I completely understand where you're coming from with the concern about heat. What I do is put them out during the day & then bring them in at night. I do this for a few reasons. One is that I like having them out during the day so they get natural UV. Second, it's hot down here day and night. Since they are supposed to have warmer temps during the day & cooler at night, bringing them in at night allows me to provide those cooler temps that I otherwise wouldn't be able to give them down here. And third I feel that they are much safer from nocturnal predators such as cats and raccoons if they are inside at night. Also since they're sleeping at night they don't really need a large space to move around like they do during the day when they're awake & stomping around. Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello JJC
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438493098.500099.jpg
I spent a year on the Tenn. Kuntucky boarder and they a lot of night creatures like chicken snakes . I don't know where in Tenn . You live but I too say bring them in at night . Until you have time to see what all they have for you . But I live in AZ and my 9 Russians do alright in the heat of AZ . Good luck and don't give up !

JCC

Thanks for the input. I am just sick over this right now. I think it would be in their best interest to re-home them. I wish I would've done this prior to moving. Sigh...We love them so much. This is hard.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am sure we have some members from TN. I think they will be fine. You will just need appropriate indoor and outdoor enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JCC, and welcome to the Forum!

I really doubt your climate is harmful to your Russian tortoises. What harms them about humidity is when they get cold yet humid. As long as you keep them warm, the high humidity won't bother them. The idea of gathering them up at the end of each day and placing them in a box full of shredded newspaper is a good one. You don't need to set up a whole new habitat indoors...just a box of shredded paper is fine. Then in the a.m. put them back outside in their safe and secure habitat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whoa! Easy now... There is no reason to get rid of your tortoises. There are MANY tortoise keepers in TN. Each and every climate and location has its good and bad points. Your russians will do just fine in Tennessee.

I would suggest having a large indoor enclosure for inclement weather and nights, and a large, safe, well designed outdoor enclosure for nice days. Here are some examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/simple-sunning-enclosure.104351/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...table-but-safe-outdoor-baby-enclosures.30683/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/

And you make make a box like this one, but on a smaller scale, to lock them up safe and sound at night if you want to leave them outside full time:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

These might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

The snakes in TN are no worse than the snakes here in CA. CA gopher snakes can swallow little tortoises whole. Ants? Yes, they can be a problem. I lost a russian here in CA to ant attack once. You just have to use caution and be on the lookout for potential problems. Start by killing off all the ants anywhere near where you intend to put the enclosure and then be vigilant about watching for them to come back. No different than anywhere else in the USA.

Is there some other reason why you don't want your tortoises? Too much work maybe? You sound very discouraged, but there is really no reason to be. TN is a great place with some big advantages over CA. Those tortoises will outlive your daughter and how cool will it be when she's 35 and has her own kids that take so much joy in the same tortoises that their mother raised. You know, "Grandma and Grandpa's tortoises."

You can easily get through this. We will help. Start with pics of the area where you'd like to put the enclosure. We can make suggestions.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I definitely don't think you need to get rid of your tortoises. You can build another great outdoor enclosure. And a great indoor one for winter. It just may have to have different features than the one in California but it can definitely be done. Food grade DE works well to kill bugs.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Just take things one step at a time....it'll all work out if you want it to!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, JCC and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, your family and all your tortoises.
You just need a bit of encouragement, I think, some good advice from the people here and this can work out fine.
Don't give up now!
Your children will thank you for keeping the torts.