Hello from Utah

nuttytortoisekeeper

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City
Recently got Clyde a juvenile Russian from tortoisetown (I found this forum too late but he seems to be doing fine)

Significant other and I really are enjoying every minute with this guy. Sometimes we just pull the chairs over and watch him run around.

He’s currently in the branded tortoise house from zoomed. Working on plans for a larger space as he grows. He has so much personality it’s amazing. Some days he’ll sleep until noon and other days he’ll be up before us just waiting for food. Almost like he has his own work days and weekends.

Clyde.jpg
20180427_225026674_iOS.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Recently got Clyde a juvenile Russian from tortoisetown (I found this forum too late but he seems to be doing fine)

Significant other and I really are enjoying every minute with this guy. Sometimes we just pull the chairs over and watch him run around.

He’s currently in the branded tortoise house from zoomed. Working on plans for a larger space as he grows. He has so much personality it’s amazing. Some days he’ll sleep until noon and other days he’ll be up before us just waiting for food. Almost like he has his own work days and weekends.

View attachment 240355
View attachment 240356

Love love love that second pic....what a fun tort...and yes, just like a group of fish in a tank....can watch them for hours...but then have to stop to work...darn it...lol :)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! What a cute baby.

I’m not an expert but your baby looks a little dry to me. Is he getting a daily soaking?

The water bowl you have is not easy for him to get into (tortoises don’t bend); it can be a tipping hazard because of this.

If you haven’t already done so, swap it out for a cheap terracotta plant saucer. Sink the saucer level with the substrate so the tortoise can walk right in. Russians may not drink much, which is why soaking is importing at that age.

nuttytortoisekeeper

Salt Lake City
Welcome to the forum! What a cute baby.

I’m not an expert but your baby looks a little dry to me. Is he getting a daily soaking?

The water bowl you have is not easy for him to get into (tortoises don’t bend); it can be a tipping hazard because of this.

If you haven’t already done so, swap it out for a cheap terracotta plant saucer. Sink the saucer level with the substrate so the tortoise can walk right in. Russians may not drink much, which is why soaking is importing at that age.

Thanks a that is actually one of two water bowels we have. The other is a little bigger terra-cotta style bowl. I think the color correction I had to do on the pictures, due to the basking light, might be what makes him look dry but not sure.

He is getting soaked regularly and actually drinks pretty regularly to. We also give him a small piece of cucumber or watermelon with the rest of his greens every two weeks.

This is what the full enclosure roughly looks like with that other bowel added between the side of the rock and the makeshift hill. That way it’s still easy for him to get in and out of if he wants.

IMG_0287.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles

View attachment 240355
View attachment 240356
[emoji106][emoji41]20180531_220805.jpg