Hello! Got my first baby tort!

Location (City and/or State)
Maine
I just got my first tortoise yesterday.... it came on the mail, I bought off morphmarket Nd I did not realize how small or young it was!!!! It I'd a hatchling red foot tortoise! Soooo small! Well it was born March 2020.... so ots a little over a month old. Its smaller than my palm and I have very small hands. Anyway after a lot of research before I bought it I had decided on a mixture of top soil and play sand for the substrate.... if this a good idea? Si ce the tortilla is so small I'm worried about it ingesting dirt... especially since the mixture of course is dirty so it gets on everything. Also.... any special care I should keep in mind with a hatchling? I also have read up on diet but does anyone know of links that would help me follow the best or most ideal diet plan for this little one? I want him or her to grow the best I can.... i feel like i should be found a more established baby or young tortoise rather than a hatchling but it's too late now and i must make sure its cated for the best i can! Thanks a lot and cant wait to chat with people!
P.s. I've always wanted a tortoise, it is my dream pet and we named it tortellini!20200428_115837.jpg20200428_125516.jpg

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Don’t use Sand, i use Organic Topsoil but there's a Controversy. to be safe you should change it.
what’s your Humidity and Temperature you should be keeping it in high humidity 80-100 but don’t keep it cold it could lead To RI, keep the temperature between 75-95
what UVB are you Using?

Maine
I'm using a solar glo MVB . Under the basking lamp is about 90-100... depends on the spot but the humidity is only about 40 because the bulb but then the other side is 90 percent humidity... 100 at night when the bulb isnt going... it o ly drops to 70 percent right before misting.... which I check periodically to make sure it doesnt go below 90.... so when it does it's not for long . The humid side is usually about 75 ! And ok I will change it then. So would just the top soil be fine? As long as there is no sand mixed in?
Thanks!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I'm using a solar glo MVB . Under the basking lamp is about 90-100... depends on the spot but the humidity is only about 40 because the bulb but then the other side is 90 percent humidity... 100 at night when the bulb isnt going... it o ly drops to 70 percent right before misting.... which I check periodically to make sure it doesnt go below 90.... so when it does it's not for long . The humid side is usually about 75 ! And ok I will change it then. So would just the top soil be fine? As long as there is no sand mixed in?
Thanks!
well as i said NO SAND but i use Top soil (which i’ll post a picture) but there’s Controversy with that you would could go with cypress mulch or orchid bark which is what you would go for.
1588213744972.jpeg

Maine
I have the same exact top soil.... so I'm wondering if I shohkd just use the top soil without the sand... hmm. I heard cypress mulch is a fire hazard and can give off toxic whatever lol. So that's why I've been having a hard time picking out the substrate. Each kind of substrate had cons! But thank you!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
I have the same exact top soil.... so I'm wondering if I shohkd just use the top soil without the sand... hmm. I heard cypress mulch is a fire hazard and can give off toxic whatever lol. So that's why I've been having a hard time picking out the substrate. Each kind of substrate had cons! But thank you!
you your correct i would use orchid bark but there’s no here in my Area. you should use it if there’s some near you. i really like Scott’s topsoil the consistency in Perfect and when it’s Very wet it doesn’t turn into Mud.
and No Sand.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Change substrate immediately to either coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch sand causes impaction and you never know what other things go van be in soil
Also, your thermostat and temp gauge should be at tortoise level so you should lower it to get better, more accurate readings. Also, humidity needs to be between 80 and 99 i would actually get better ones if you can. They have them for like $10 on Amazon. You need to get a closed chamber for that baby asap to keep Temps and high humidity otherwise your baby's health is in jeopardy. Find the redfoot care guide here and follow it to the letter for a healthy tort. Most info out there is SO wrong!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Change substrate immediately to either coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch sand causes impaction and you never know what other things go van be in soil
Also, your thermostat and temp gauge should be at tortoise level so you should lower it to get better, more accurate readings. Also, humidity needs to be between 80 and 99 i would actually get better ones if you can. They have them for like $10 on Amazon. You need to get a closed chamber for that baby asap to keep Temps and high humidity otherwise your baby's health is in jeopardy. Find the redfoot care guide here and follow it to the letter for a healthy tort. Most info out there is SO wrong!
there’s other ways to keep high humidity without Closed chamber...

Lmao. ?? JK

Maine
Oh the temps and hu.idity ate high. That picture was when I first put it in there so it wasnt where it was suppose to be. I will lower the gauges tho. Right now the temps are 90-100 in basking area. 70-80 in other areas. And the humidity is like 100 percent it says anyway at night.. which I believe cuz I put the lid on. And during the day I've been spraying it a lot! To keep it at 90 !

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Temps shouldn't be lower than 80 at any time in any part of you enclosure. It can cause an upper respiratory infection so fast! Trust me I know. I learned the hard way.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Topsoil is just a mess.. not to mention the additives even in the organic home depot bought. Cypress is safe as well as orchid bark. Both hold moisture very well as welll as dont mold.

Maine
Temps shouldn't be lower than 80 at any time in any part of you enclosure. It can cause an upper respiratory infection so fast! Trust me I know. I learned the hard way.
I was told they can live in room temperature. 68-80 is what I read in many places. I wanted my baby to have a temp gradient as well.

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Lol but yeah, make it easy on yourself lol

this is my tortoise enclosure i have the lid but i don’t have the tortoise inside RN because i’m growing A Rocket & Squash leaves. it’s going to look way better when it’s done.

Attachments

• 06149445-7E8B-461B-B092-B0C8FEE71F46.jpeg
    06149445-7E8B-461B-B092-B0C8FEE71F46.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Maine
Topsoil is just a mess.. not to mention the additives even in the organic home depot bought. Cypress is safe as well as orchid bark. Both hold moisture very well as welll as dont mold.
Yes I realized the mess part lol. After all my research it seemed like a good idea. After putting it all together. I realize it's not. Well especially the sand.... that I mixed with it
Ugh