hello im new

Sir. Francis

Location (City and/or State)
Walnut Shade, MO
hey there everyone. My name is caleb and my tortoise's name is Sir. Francis. he is a Greek tortoise I believe although im not 100% sure. I have a couple pictures to show you all what he looks like and the tank that I have him in right now while im building him a better enclosure sense finding out about what a really good enclosure is while reading through forums on this site. sense this seems like a great place to get to know others and share info on tortoises with others that truly love them I figured I would sign up and see how it goes.20150818_110048.jpg 20150818_110106.jpg 20150818_110132.jpg 20150818_110148.jpg 20150818_114253.jpg 20150818_114301.jpg 20150818_114311.jpg 20150818_114321.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: I'm not good with ID's, but someone will chime in soon. I love your tort's name!

Sir. Francis

Walnut Shade, MO
thank you for the warm welcome! I am sure that someone will identify him before too long. I would appreciate any thoughts on the enclosure I have him in right now. I have UVA and UVB a place to soak and drink, a food bowl, a place to hide and bedding to that is good for moisture retaining and keeping good humidity and the tank is 20 gal

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Caleb!

Your full grown Russian tortoise will not be happy to have to live in a small indoor habitat. You should be thinking about making him a nice big outdoor space.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Caleb, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Sir Francis.
Looks like a Russian, Testudo hosrfieldii, to me.
Have you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ ?
And http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ ?
Firstly, the enclosure looks too small, a minimum of 4' by 8' is needed for a Russian, in my opinion, they are a very active toroise that need a lot of space..
What type of bulb are you using ?
A plastic hide, like an overturned plant pot may be better to hold the humidity.
And a closed chamber is better http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
I use a piece of slate to put the food on as this helps file the beak down as well.
A shallow terracotta saucer, sunk into the substrate, big enough for him to soak in, is good for water.
Do you have an outdoor enclosure also,?
He needs to spend as much time as possible in a secure enclosure outside.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, lots of good advice above.
There's lots to learn but this is the best place to learn from very experienced tort keepers all over the world.
If you follow all advice your tort will be very happy and healthy fro the rest of your life!

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Welcome to the forum please read the forums russian tortoise care sheets and change your care based on it

Sir. Francis

Walnut Shade, MO
I left to be close to my parents that are getting a little older now grandpa turtle. I miss it ha. thank you so much from everyone that has given me a warm welcome. thank you Tidgy's dad for the the references and the identification I thought that he was a greek tortoise. I am working on making a outdoor enclosure for him. its gonna be 8' X 10' made out of plywood and 2X4 I will take pictures of it once its finished and ask for oppinions then. I truly appreciate all the advice and tips