Hello! No Tortoise but interested!

Jacob Shaver

Lately I've been really thinking about getting a tortoise. I like how long they live and I find them fascinating. I'd really love to get a Greek tortoise, but I have no clue where I should buy one online from. I have no supplies yet, nor do I have any clue what I really need and how to keep the cost down, I am in college after all. I'm located in northern New York. I see Canada from my house.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Do you have room for a 4x6 indoor enclosure and a larger area for a outdoor enclosure?
Getting a hatchling will give you a little time before you will need the larger enclosures, but will still need a 2 or 3 by 4 to start out.
Read all you can about their care. If you think you can give a good home, then collect all you will need, get it set up and running so all temps and humidity is correct, then look for a breeder to by from.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Jacob

Please read that beginner thread that Yvonne posted the link to.

What I am going to say next is going to sound tough and you may already have thought things through, so please excuse me if I am saying things you have worked out already. I want both you and your future tort to be together when the time is right - and that may be after graduation :)

Think about your plans for the future. A tortoise will live for 60+ years, probably 100. Even the smallest species need a minimum of 4' x 8' (1.5 x 2.2 metres) enclosure. They don't travel well so are best left in someone's care if you go away.

I own an adult Greek - he'd find that far too small. He has the run of our back yard in the UK.

Here's the Greek Care Guide to give you an idea
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

You are at college. Are you allowed pets there? Who will care for your tort when you're on vacation and when/if you travel? Where will you live/work when you graduate? Will you be in a small apartment or will you have the outdoor space a tort benefits from?

They look cute and easy to care for, but there is more to owning a tortoise than having it in a crate and feeding it lettuce.

If you're confident, you're ready for the expense of setting everything up properly and have the space, then go right ahead and we'll happily help out.

If you decide to postpone it then we'll support you when the time comes too. :)

Jacob Shaver

Oh wow! I'm loving the responses! Thank you! And if you have any other suggestions for different breeds that would be great (smaller the better). I do in fact know that tortoises can live quite long, it's one of the things I like about them. And even though I'm in college, I love at home and commute. In about a year to a year and a half I will be moving into an apartment. I have a big lab so it will have to be a decent size apartment because I'm certainly not leaving him behind. I'm not 100% sure if I want a tortoise right, but I will look at what you links you have posted and give it some more thought! I appreciate the support!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Jacob you are 10 days younger than my daughter who graduated July 2015.

Since graduation she's spent 3 months in central Africa, 3 months in Saskatchewan (at 12 days notice!) and a month in the USA. She's home in the UK now. None of this was anticipated 18 months before graduation!

Joe, our tort, has been part of our family for the last 46 years - twice as long as we've had her.

I really do understand how plans can change quickly for young people which is why I urge caution :)

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Jacob and welcome,
You are very sensible to research and see if it is the right time for you to have a tort.
I became a keeper by accident (long story) and boy,did I have a steep learning curve!!:eek:
Believe me there is far more to torts than meets the eye and the initial set up can be expensive with heat and uvb sources etc
In the 2 years I have had Lola my life has changed drastically. I used to just throw a bag in the car and take myself off for weekends etc but now I have stopped going away because I don't have anyone who could look after him and Lola's needs always comes first - not that he's grateful - I am just the provider of food!:( I would never have chosen a tort as a pet but having taken him in he quickly got under my skin and I love him to bits - he is fascinating and makes me smile so there are a lot of positives.
So just make sure you have room in your life for a tort and if so then with the right care you will have a pet for life!