Thanks Josh.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Can you be more specific? What exactly do you mean by comparable?
Is there a vegetable available that is comparable to what he might find naturally? With the same types of plant juices? What do you mean by succulents? Saphire loves wild strawberries but won't touch a strawberry. He's a picky little guy but in the right way. Maybe a succulent type vegetable is something he needs along with his greens.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What about Aloe or Opituna Cactus.... great in moderation.
Have you tried it? I was also wondering if the type of cactus that is sold in Latino veggies would be a good succulent to add. I can't remember the name of it.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I cannot get hold of opituna cactus readily in the U.K. but I know it’s quite easy to come by in the US.
I think that you can get it from the Latino stores.
I feed aloe maybe once per week.
Both are fine for tortoises

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I wwas also wondering if the type of cactus that is sold in Latino veggies would be a good succulent to add. I can't remember the name of it.

It’s called “nopales” at the grocery store. It’s spineless opuntia cactus and a very good plant to feed.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It’s called “nopales” at the grocery store. It’s spineless opuntia cactus and a very good plant to feed.
Thank you so much. Thanks to minority2 also. I've never thought of trying cactus before but it makes total sense.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didn't know so many people replied! I was watching utube today and also heard about prickly pears. This is an answer to my prayers for Saphire. Now for Daisy May.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didn't know so many people replied! I was watching utube today and also heard about prickly pears. This is an answer to my prayers for Saphire. Now for Daisy May.
I know I'm probably driving you guys crazy but...I know that cactus is What I've been looking for. My tortoise loves zucchini and it has that sticky plant sap but it was making him fat. Okra has seeds. I found some prickly pears online that I can also grow. I'm gonna cook some for me just to try it

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome! I have a horsefield too! I've been learning a ton about weeds and plants in my yard and feeding him salads with lots of variety. It's been so fun I'd rather prepare my little Diego's lunch than my own. Here's what I chose out of my yard for today's meal...
Mallow
Hollyhock
Geranium
Dandilion
Plantain (broad leaf and narrow)
Sow thistle
Clover
Hens and chicks
Echinacea
Green leaf lettuce
Begonia

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Welcome! I have a horsefield too! I've been learning a ton about weeds and plants in my yard and feeding him salads with lots of variety. It's been so fun I'd rather prepare my little Diego's lunch than my own. Here's what I chose out of my yard for today's meal...
Mallow
Hollyhock
Geranium
Dandilion
Plantain (broad leaf and narrow)
Sow thistle
Clover
Hens and chicks
Echinacea
Green leaf lettuce
Begonia
Yea