Hello! Reliable star tortoise care sheet ???

Ella.s

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hello I live in the uk and am hoping to learn more about tortoises! I've been a tortoise owner for about 7 months now to two adorable baby Russians. I've had a baby star tortoise for just over a week now I've done research on her before we got her but I'm wondering how reliable some advice is... My Indian star is eating well pooping regularly and loves a good soak. Here are some pictures of her and her new enclosure ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425943347.255091.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425943413.860812.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1425943447.659931.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
was there anything specific that worried/concerned you? your tortoise is eating, pooping, and soaking, so it seems to be off to a good start. I know they can be more prone to RI's, so that is the main thing I would watch for.

Ella.s

Uk
was there anything specific that worried/concerned you? your tortoise is eating, pooping, and soaking, so it seems to be off to a good start. I know they can be more prone to RI's, so that is the main thing I would watch for.
What are the signs of an ill star tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ella and welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That care sheet was written by a very well-known name in the tortoise-keeping world. I would trust it.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Agree, the author is definitely reputable. I would also recommend buying the book by him for star tortoises. It's definitely full of good material.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There is some good info in there, but that care sheet is centered around full sized adults. Babies need a little more TLC than just putting them outside and stars are more delicate than some other species. Following the techniques I outline in the care sheet I linked for you will produce a smooth healthy star tortoise.

Never let the night time temp drop below 80 and soak that baby daily in warm water.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i have a care sheet for stars that a uk breeder sent me if you want to look at it and see what you think. i don't know how to get it on here but i can email it to some one so they can sort it.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Hello I live in the uk and am hoping to learn more about tortoises! I've been a tortoise owner for about 7 months now to two adorable baby Russians. I've had a baby star tortoise for just over a week now I've done research on her before we got her but I'm wondering how reliable some advice is... My Indian star is eating well pooping regularly and loves a good soak. Here are some pictures of her and her new enclosure View attachment 121385 View attachment 121386 View attachment 121387
do you mind if i ask where you got your star? i'm considering one myself and looking for good breeders. i've only found the one so far that seems genuine and i'm still checking all the info out.

Ella.s

Uk
do you mind if i ask where you got your star? i'm considering one myself and looking for good breeders. i've only found the one so far that seems genuine and i'm still checking all the info out.
I got my star from a reptile shop but sorry I got the last one I'll let you know if they get anymore in!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
I got my star from a reptile shop but sorry I got the last one I'll let you know if they get anymore in!
thanks, i was just curios if it was the same breeder i've been recommended more than anything. i'm checking every thing out before i commit to a purchase.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I know i'm rather late here, but saw you were still about, so;
Hello, Ella and your beautiful star and a very warm if not entirely punctual welcome to Tortoise Forum.