Hello There from the UK , so we have a new Tortoise , Trying to work out what breed ?

Jemzfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Southwest England
Hey , Glad you did , especially as they could be Tortoise twins , lol , So all good ,, Not seen her drink to much over the last few days ,, But been placing her in a shallow bowl ,, And lots of Water based veggies , Hopefully all good x
They love a good soak, you’ll often find they’ll have a drink when having a little bath and almost more often than not mess in it too! Obviously you do what’s best for you (not sure if you’re a new owner?) but if you Google “Shelled Warriors” that’s where I have gotten my seeds and quick grow seeds from along with other bits, eBay I think was my last purchase via them. Also “the tortoise table” it’s lists Categories of food and marks it safe/moderation/sparingly/do not feed. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is still a lot of old and incorrect care information for torts still being passed around by pet shops, some breeders, other owners, social media and even some vets etc., but this is the most up to date caresheet that you need to make sure your tort has everything s/he needs -
That covers everything from enclosures, substrate, diet and heating and lighting etc. so
read that carefully but ask as many questions as you like. Most torts problems are caused because of things we as keepers do or don't do for them and there are lots of people here who will be only too happy to help you get it right; it will save you money on unsafe equipment and vet bills.
You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful for finding safe food and discovering which plants are better than others. They mainly need dark leafy weeds /plants and no fruit - they can't deal with the sugars.

Martin R Millen

Cheshunt, WALTHAM CROSS
Hi and welcome,
There is still a lot of old and incorrect care information for torts still being passed around by pet shops, some breeders, other owners, social media and even some vets etc., but this is the most up to date caresheet that you need to make sure your tort has everything s/he needs -
That covers everything from enclosures, substrate, diet and heating and lighting etc. so
read that carefully but ask as many questions as you like. Most torts problems are caused because of things we as keepers do or don't do for them and there are lots of people here who will be only too happy to help you get it right; it will save you money on unsafe equipment and vet bills.
You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful for finding safe food and discovering which plants are better than others. They mainly need dark leafy weeds /plants and no fruit - they can't deal with the sugars.
Many thanks Lyn , Many thanks , really need all the help I can get ,, So got it wrong already been feeding him and her a few peices of fruit , Hopefully will get right soon ,, so thanks again , Martin .

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Many thanks Lyn , Many thanks , really need all the help I can get ,, So got it wrong already been feeding him and her a few peices of fruit , Hopefully will get right soon ,, so thanks again , Martin .
If you post some pics of your enclosure you'll get good feedback to make sure your tort is as safe and happy as possible - most of us have had to make changes starting out but if any are needed it's better to do it sooner rather than later for less impact on torts.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome, there are many UK based owners on here. Read the care sheet and ask questions as required.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the Forum ☺️. have you named your Tortoise yet?😊