Hello Wonderful Russian Tortoises and Friends

DangerKittyx3

Location (City and/or State)
Planet of the Tortoises
Hello from USA. We are experiencing some uncomfortably rainy/windy weather here with recent intense tornados passing through. Luckily I'm really not alone because I have my amazing friend with me. I'm looking forward to warmer temperatures and lush plant life. As well as my beautiful Russian, Donatella, that amazing friend to spend the warmer days with. The purpose of creating a profile is so that I can get to know people throughout the world that might share similarities with me. I look forward to meeting people that really understand the ideas I share. I hope to talk to Russian Tortoises and friends soon. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Sincerely,
LiLix3

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Hello!! Welcome!! I am a new tortoise owner! I got mine a week ago and he's beautiful do you have a Russian already?we would love some pics if you do!!

Here's mine!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1459524408.076742.jpg

DangerKittyx3

Planet of the Tortoises
How much water does a tortoise consume? I like to give my Russian plenty of hydration. It doesn't work when I simply keep a water dish in her habitat. She seems oblivious to it and gets her substrate mixed in with it as she climbs over it. I hand feed her once or twice daily I give her fresh water out of the bottle cap. I can tell she really hydrates that way. She likes Aqua Panna and Nestle Pure Life water. I can really see her gulping it down. She normally walks away to let me know she is done eating and drinking. I will make every effort possible to get her to drink water, but I want to know what works well for other Russian Tortoise owners. I don't want her to drink the water she is being soaked in 3 times a week because from a hygenic perspective it's not good. Also I don't want her to drink water with substrate or other harmful substance in it. She seems to be drinking plenty of water when I place it to her lips.

Attachments

• Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles.jpg
    Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 11

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You sure found the right place!
Welcome.
Be sure to read over our Russian care threads to make life nicer for both you and your tortoise.
It looks like some minor tweaks could benefit him/her.
Tortoises have little dignity. Often drinking and pooping in the same water.
Cool looking hairless cat, B.T.W.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
How much water does a tortoise consume? I like to give my Russian plenty of hydration. It doesn't work when I simply keep a water dish in her habitat. She seems oblivious to it and gets her substrate mixed in with it as she climbs over it. I hand feed her once or twice daily I give her fresh water out of the bottle cap. I can tell she really hydrates that way. She likes Aqua Panna and Nestle Pure Life water. I can really see her gulping it down. She normally walks away to let me know she is done eating and drinking. I will make every effort possible to get her to drink water, but I want to know what works well for other Russian Tortoise owners. I don't want her to drink the water she is being soaked in 3 times a week because from a hygenic perspective it's not good. Also I don't want her to drink water with substrate or other harmful substance in it. She seems to be drinking plenty of water when I place it to her lips.
How much water a tortoise consumes varies on the tortoise itself as well as size and weight i guess. My 2 tortoises also neglect their water bowl but i keep it in there anyway just in case. I dont have a problem with having them drink while they soak. My tortoises have very clear pee and their tub is big so it gives them room. I dont mind too much about the hygienic thing because i'm sure their soaking water is much cleaner than in the wild. But i do know some owners that feel the same way you do with water. And i just keep plenty greens in a food dish so they can go back and forth to it when they please (which is often in this case)

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Ok so I can tell your substrate is not good it also looks like your feeding hay and they are not much grass eaters!and your enclosure might be a bit small already! But very nice tortoise you have there!!!

DangerKittyx3

Planet of the Tortoises
Her substrate used to be organic top soil, but I didn't like how the dirt was getting in her little eyes. The substrate she is in now is wood chips and hay. She does not eat the hay, but she likes to borrow in it. She eats alot of greens and drinks alot of fresh water. I don't leave food out because it gets dried out and unappealing. I hand feed her twice a day and she eats alot more that way. It seems that when she has food out she only takes a few bites and then goes to sleep. Other times she walks all over her food and gets substrate in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160327_090709.jpg
    IMG_20160327_090709.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

DangerKittyx3

Planet of the Tortoises
How much water a tortoise consumes varies on the tortoise itself as well as size and weight i guess. My 2 tortoises also neglect their water bowl but i keep it in there anyway just in case. I dont have a problem with having them drink while they soak. My tortoises have very clear pee and their tub is big so it gives them room. I dont mind too much about the hygienic thing because i'm sure their soaking water is much cleaner than in the wild. But i do know some owners that feel the same way you do with water. And i just keep plenty greens in a food dish so they can go back and forth to it when they please (which is often in this case)
Sometimes food that looks unappealing to us is exactly what a tortoise would love.
One of my Redfoot waits a day and then eats wilted greens and shriveled, half eaten fruit.
Just wrong.

Donatella was very neglected by her previous owners. She was very stinky and weak because she was severely malnourished and dehydrated. She has made a major improvement already in the few months I had her. I want her to be spoiled and only want the best for her. She was living in a plastic container with dirt and rocks. Her shell was so battered by her dirty and rocky habitat. She had scratches all under her shell. Now everything in her habitat is soft (wood chips/hay). She normally just borrows into the corner and sleeps there. Her previous owners only fed her green beans for over a decade. I noticed she does not like kale or dandelions because she eats a third of the amount of what she would normally eat when given green beans. I sprinkle reptile calcium on her green beans, which her previous owner did not do. She has a large appetite for green beans, but no appetite for anything else. I just give her what she likes because I just want her to be happy.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Donatella was very neglected by her previous owners. She was very stinky and weak because she was severely malnourished and dehydrated. She has made a major improvement already in the few months I had her. I want her to be spoiled and only want the best for her. She was living in a plastic container with dirt and rocks. Her shell was so battered by her dirty and rocky habitat. She had scratches all under her shell. Now everything in her habitat is soft (wood chips/hay). She normally just borrows into the corner and sleeps there. Her previous owners only fed her green beans for over a decade. I noticed she does not like kale or dandelions because she eats a third of the amount of what she would normally eat when given green beans. I sprinkle reptile calcium on her green beans, which her previous owner did not do. She has a large appetite for green beans, but no appetite for anything else. I just give her what she likes because I just want her to be happy.
Im glad you are able to give her a better home ! She must be very happy now.
Using hay as substrate isnt recommended cause is molds when you spray it often (for humidity). There are different types of mulch beddings that you can use that holds moisture well and doesnt mold though. I dont remember but im sure someone with more experience can let you know. The soil is kind of messy, its true. My tortoises havent gotten them in their eyes though. So lucky me.
With the green beans, if you could really mix the green beans with other veggies, it would be good for her. That way when she eats the green beans, she might accidentally bite some of the other veggies & get nutrients from those too. And who knows, she might have a new favorite !

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
She needs more than green beans. They may be her favourite, but she will be healthier if you give her a diverse and proper diet. Hand feeding can be fun, but her beak is overgrown so she will benefit from having to rip up her own food more or eating on a hard surface like slate.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lili and welcome I am so glad you want to do your best for your tort which means you are open minded and willing to accept advice.

There is great up to date information from very experienced keepers all over the world who thankfully share their tried and tested methods with us to stop us making the same mistakes that they did in their early days.
There is a Russian caresheet under Species Specific which will tell you all about diet, temps humidity and substrate and the Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) will also teach you a few do's and don'ts. Russians love space to wander and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas for making a spacious happy home for your tort.

I am worried that your dried hay and grass etc is not only too dry for your tort but a big fire hazard under those lamps.

Also if you place a cheap terracotta plant saucer in the enclosure big enough for your tort to lie in he will self soak and drink/absorb water while he is there. He will probably also use it to wee and poop in which makes it easy to dispose of, but obviously he needs clean fresh water regularly. Oh and don't over use the calcium just a small pinch a few times a week.

There is a lot to learn about torts but this is the best place to learn it if you take the time to read the links and ask as many questions as you want. We all love torts and only have their best interests at heart.