Hello!

Chryste

Hey there, everybody! :) I'm new and I have absolutely no experience with owning a pet turtle or tortoise; that being said, I'm really excited about the idea and I'm stoked to learn more about tortoises in general and how to care for them. Looking forward to getting to know the forums!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Welcome! What species are you looking at getting?

Chryste

Thanks, lismar79! :) I've been looking a lot into Greek tortoises, especially the Ibera ones... but I'm open to any/all kinds. I live in a small apartment with no backyard at the moment, so I'm currently looking at younger turtles that wouldn't require a huge table/outdoor area.

Based on your signature, you've got a... well, I don't know what RT means, but I take it that Sully means Sulcata?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) RT is for Russian Tortoise. Your right about the sully. Lots of info that is correct, so read on. It's great your researching first.

Chryste

Thanks! :) Yeah, I don't want to get into something that I'm not totally prepared for.

Hopefully I catch on to the terminology with time!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You might want to look at the russian torts :) great spunk, stay small and are a great starter tortoise. Course I am bias.

Chryste

I'm open to them, sure! They're adorable and I love that they stay small. The boyfriend is partial to how the Greeks look - he likes the greener colored shells - but overall cosmetic stuff like that doesn't really matter.

Now I've just gotta find some for sale! I'm pretty leery about purchasing one online... I'm sure it's done frequently and it's perfectly safe, but it makes me uneasy to think of FedEx-ing a tortoise. :(

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
If you get the right seller, your tort will be perfectly safe. Tyler at toroisesupply.com comes pretty reccomended from what I have read, as does gardenstatetortoise.com

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in a small apartment with no backyard at the moment, so I'm currently looking at younger turtles that wouldn't require a huge table/outdoor area.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Everyone here is happy that you are doing your research first.

All species of tortoise need pretty large enclosures with a large foot print, and all of them should really get at least some outdoor time in a large safe enclosure during fair weather. Tortoises really are not the best pets for people who are short on space. There are many other reptiles that might work better for you that will do fine in smaller, more manageable enclosures.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Chryste welcome to the TFO from AZ . Greeks and Russians rule ! Have a great tort day :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410923058.670851.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410923143.262544.jpg now if you want you can make a choise .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum