Hello

eilla

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, Oregon
Hi there! I have had a tortoise for about two years now. She was left in an apartment my husband was cleaning out after its owners moved. I'm almost certain my tortoise is a Russian tortoise and a female. I named her Shelly. When it is warn outside she spends her days in an outdoor enclosure eating dandelions and other weeds from my yard. When it isn't warm enough she stays in her indoor enclosure that she was in when my husband found her. I found this web page from googling about how to care for her. I'm not 100% positive she is happy and healthy. I'm hopping that joining this group can help me make sure she is happy and healthy. I will add some picture of Shelly. Any advice or information anybody can give me by looking at them would be much appreciated.
-eilla.

IMG_0004[1].JPG IMG_3422.JPG IMG_3476.JPG IMG_3477.JPG IMG_3479.JPG IMG_3710.JPG IMG_3765.JPG IMG_3766.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Killerrookie

Holy COW!! That's one of the biggest Russians I've seen in my life!!! I'm positive it's a Russian Tortoise for sure. Welcome to the Forums and it's a pleasure meeting you. There is a care sheet in the Russian Tortoise section that is made by Tom. I would go a check it out because there is a lot there you can learn and improve on.

eilla

Portland, Oregon
Holy COW!! That's one of the biggest Russians I've seen in my life!!! I'm positive it's a Russian Tortoise for sure. Welcome to the Forums and it's a pleasure meeting you. There is a care sheet in the Russian Tortoise section that is made by Tom. I would go a check it out because there is a lot there you can learn and improve on.
When I measure her shell from head to tail she is about 9 inches long. Thank you, I will check the care sheet out, where can I find it?

Killerrookie

Man that's a big Russian for sure! You can find it under the Mediterranean species and then you will see the Russian Tortoise thread.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello and welcome to the forum. I Am willing to guess someone willing to leave their tortoise behind was keeping it way too small of an enclosure. Look around the Russian section and let us know any questions you have.

Lexiii

CT
Wow, she's a beauty! Thank you for taking her in and giving her a home. People can be so heartless.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When I measure her shell from head to tail she is about 9 inches long. Thank you, I will check the care sheet out, where can I find it?
If you click on the tortoise species tab at the top of the page you will find a list in the drop down menu.
Welcome to you and Shelly - you will learn a lot here and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Eilla!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Wow, she's a beauty! Thank you for taking her in and giving her a home. People can be so heartless.
Some people can be heartless and merciless with a human being, let alone such a little animal such as a tort. And a very cute one.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! And thanks so much for taking care of Shelly. GOD bless you both.