hello :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk1

5 Year Member
I've just joined the forum. I live in Cyprus and have always been a tortoise enthusiast. I just came into possession of a pair of small tortoises. I'm hoping this space will help me take care of animals. Hoping we can connect. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tk1:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

If you have any questions, we are more than happy to come up with answers! :p

Can you please post pictures of your tortoises so that we're all on the same page?

tk1

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne - my name is Tony. I dont have pics of my tortoises yet, but I can tell you they are a pair of 2 year old Greek Tortoises which just came into my possession today. I got them from a lady who has over 30 burrowed in her garden, now deep in hibernation. Regrettably I knew nothing about whether it was ok to disturb them during their sleep, and although the lady said it would probably be better to leave them until they woke up, I decided to take them anyway thinking I'd be able to re-hibernate them. Now I'm reading that it is not a good idea to do this :( and need advice on what to do. Should I keep them awake? I imagine they've only been in hibernation about a month. Any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they seem bright, awake and alert, I'd just go ahead and keep them up. You are keeping them indoors, right?

tk1

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If they seem bright, awake and alert, I'd just go ahead and keep them up. You are keeping them indoors, right?

They woke up a few times, firstly when I picked them up, then during transportation and once they got home. Now they are fast asleep again. It's almost mid-night here though (not sure if that matters). They didn't seem very bright, kinda disorientated with eyes half open. I'm not sure how I'll be keeping them yet. One thought was to keep them in a box outside and let them hibernate again OR keep them indoors - I would have to organise a suitable set up, with a lamp to keep their temperature regulated; although I'm worried that the fluctuating temperature of central heating might affect them?

tk1

5 Year Member
Its interesting that I have seen various sources say that generally tortoises hibernate at temperatures of about 5C. Right now its much warmer than that here and these tortoises are hibernating. It can get to 5C or a bit lower sometimes during the night, but on most days its an average of around 13 to 15C. Wouldn't this cause an unstable hibernation?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

I like Torts that DON"T hybernate so I can enjoy their antics year 'round!

Status
Not open for further replies.