hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

tickle

5 Year Member
:cool:hey guys I'm new to this forum I just adopted my friends Russian tort named tickle his house was destroyed by hurricane sandy. He is a teenager and male was wild caught.I also lost my reef setup with thousands of dollars of lost stock.thank God for tickle. his cuteness and quirky behavior has helped me deg over the loss of my reef Wichita took years to build.I don't have the heart to do it again so I'm 100% percent Russian tort now.its funny my wife is Russian and they used to play with torts when little she said it reminds her a little of childhood and that's a good thing.I just want to use my t5 reef lightsand don't no if they have uvb in them.thanx guys glad to meet u all.:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi tickle and welcome to the Forum!!

Yes, steppe tortoises can really get to you. They are so outgoing and so people oriented. Sorry to hear about the storm damage, but glad that Tickle is giving you comfort.

Your light is probably better than a plain incandescent bulb, however, in my opinion, it probably doesn't have enough UVB for the steppe tortoise. For winter time I use mercury vapor bulbs (MVB) because they offer heat and UVB in the same bulb. For good weather my tortoises are outside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) so sorry about your reef and all the storm damage. Unfortunatly you guys are really getting it all dumped on you out there.:( I have a marine tank and used to have a small reef. I know the time and expense. That really stinks. So glad your little Russian can bring you comfort and smiles.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Welcome and sorry about the loss of your reef. :( Russians have the cutest little personalities.

tickle

5 Year Member
Thanx for all the luv guys and gals I look foreward to posting with all of u and sharing info.I'm sticking yo Russians they seem to be poweroutage proof.lol after he totally settles in I will find him a girlfriend.anyone have a idea on my t5 10000 k and attinic lights? Do they have uvb?thanx

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Can't help you with the light question ( i do the same as emysemys) but i wanted to stop in and say welcome to the forum! Russians are great torts, im crazy for mine

tickle

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi tickle and welcome to the Forum!!

Yes, steppe tortoises can really get to you. They are so outgoing and so people oriented. Sorry to hear about the storm damage, but glad that Tickle is giving you comfort.

Your light is probably better than a plain incandescent bulb, however, in my opinion, it probably doesn't have enough UVB for the steppe tortoise. For winter time I use mercury vapor bulbs (MVB) because they offer heat and UVB in the same bulb. For good weather my tortoises are outside.

thanx bro it is all i have for now i havent worked in two weeks my resterount has no power but i will get a mvb as soon as i can.

tickle

5 Year Member
[split] I think he's spoiled!

I have had a sulcata and still a breeding pair of bodies.I have only had this Russian for less then 2 weeks and by far is the most socialable of them all I even raised the bodies from eggs.tickle comes running to me if you can call it that lol when he sees me but to no one else and I haven't had him for long.I hats to say the friend I got him from took horrible care of him now he has a huge indoor table 14 feet by 10 feet with potted weeds and grasses all over Wich I bury under the substrate for easy cleaning a watering.he came from a 15 gallon glass tank and was fed horrible foods.I think he is happy I took him.he watches me everywhere I move and doesn't even twitch when I pick him up.I just have to get some wieght back on him.he has a vet vissit on Thurs.he is 14 years old I think my friends isn't sure exactly how many years he has had him.my sulcata and bodies run or shell hiss from retracrion anytime anyone goes near them.so I am astonished on the personality and friendlyness of these guys quickly becomming my favorite.he will eat from my hand but I don't want him to get used to thar.he even ate in the tiny box in my care on the drive home!

Status
Not open for further replies.