Hello

Lolly_g

Hi,

I am new to keeping tortoises, I have just been given 2 red foot tortoises about 5 years old.

One of them is making a noise! The other one doesn't do this, he has done it since I got them 2 weeks ago.

I am keeping them in a home made tortoise table, they both eat loads and seem happy but the bigger one makes this noise which I'm not sure if it's normal!

If anyone could give me any advise I would be very grateful!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your tortoises would probably appreciate some dirt to dig down into. Especially RF tortoises, need more humidity in their environment, and you can't really provide that on the floor tiles you have in the picture.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Lolly_g

Hi thanks, this is just where I have them outside. They live indoors and have soil covered in bark chips. I am quite concerned about the noise he is making

Lolly_g

image.jpg

This is their enclosure, does it look ok? They have been outside every day but not for long as I'm not sure if it's warm enough for them outside

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Can you tell us when he makes the noise. Is it when he is breathing or when he pulls his head in? But my tort doesn't make any noise except when quickly pulling back into his shell, then it is kind of a hissing sound.

Lolly_g

It's when he is breathing, he doesn't do it all the time but does it often. I have just recorded a video which I will try and put on here but not sure if you'll be able to hear. It is sort of a hissing sound.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
It looks dry. That's why their shells are pyramided they were kept too dry. Humidity should be around 80%. That was the hardest part of their housing for me. I finally built a closed chamber and now it's a breeze. If you look thru the enclosure posts you will get a lot if info and ideas. Some people use misters or humidifiers to keep humidity up. And welcome to the forum also!

Lolly_g

image.jpg

I put one of these hygrometers in and have been spraying the tortoises and their enclosure 2-3 times a day. Does it need to be more humid?

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
I keep mine >80% but 70% isn't terrible. I would aim for a little higher humidity. Many have said that type of gauge is unreliable, I don't know first hand because I use one of theseView attachment 90811

Do u soak your torts also?

Lolly_g

I think it will be easier if I give you some more information!

I was given these tortoises 2 weeks ago. They came in a guinea pig cage with a light bulb attached, just a normal household light bulb and a tube light.

I have looked online to get as much information as possible but I found some websites contradict others!

We have made them a new home out of a bookcase! The bottom is lined with pond liner. I have put some reptile soil in the bottom and covered the top in reptile bark chips, they have a water dish and a little wood thing they can go under. I have put up a Arcadia mini D3 UV basking lamp.

I have been putting them outside every day but not for long as I'm not sure it's warm enough for them outside (I am in The UK)

I spray the tortoises and their enclosure 2-3 times a day and put them into their water bowl everyday (although they usually get straight out)

I feed them salad, fruit and veg at the moment but tonight I will purchase some seeds for tortoises with weeds and flowers and start feeding them this when it has grown.

My main concern is the hissing noise the bigger tortoise 'Sid' is making. He has made the noise since I got him. He doesn't do it all the time and the noise is when he breathes. The smaller tortoise 'ruby' doesn't make any noise.

I also am not giving then any supplements yet as I'm not exactly sure what they require as the information online is so varied.

Sorry that's so long! I didn't plan on getting these tortoises so had nothing prepared and I have done the best I can in the 2 weeks I've had these guys but I want to make sure I've got everything right so they are happy and healthy!

Lolly_g

image.jpg

Here is a picture of their whole enclosure. The tube light and normal light bulb I put on to use until I got the Arcadia D3 bulb. This is the only bulb I have on now which is in the clamp lamp as the bulb is too big for the normal light fitting!

Sarah Winchester

Cornwall
Hi and welcome also from UK
I'm pretty new to owning a tortoise but I have been advised with my tortoise and what I have read that to give greens like
Spring greens, Radicchio, young spinach cress amongst some and only to have fruit very rarely
Also they like dandelion leaves and flowers
Also I noticed broccoli in the photos and broccoli is a NONO as it's not good for them at all
Unfortunately I have no idea why your tortoise is making noises maybe someone more experienced can advice you

Last edited:

Lolly_g

Hi and welcome also from UK
I'm pretty new to owning a tortoise but I have been advised with my tortoise and what I have read that to give greens like
Spring greens, Radicchio, young spinach cress amongst some and only to have fruit very rarely
Also they like dandelion leaves and flowers
Also I noticed broccoli in the photos and broccoli is a NONO as it's not good for them at all
Unfortunately I have no idea why your tortoise is making noises maybe someone more experienced can advice you

Thank you, I haven taken out the broccoli although they had already eaten some. I only gave them that today as they have eaten all the salad I got them, I can't believe how much they eat!

Sarah Winchester

Cornwall
That's ok Lolly :)
Yeah they do like there food I have just had mine for just over 2 weeks love her to bits
She loves her food she went off dandelions and I got advice on here what to feed her and she is loving her food now feeding her some of what I suggested to you

Lolly_g

I will be going shopping tomorrow for lots of greens! I have just ordered some seeds to grow, weeds and flowers for tortoises they had lots of different varieties for all different tortoises From a website called shelled warriors

Sarah Winchester

Cornwall
Yeah I did that on Monday, think I been on there site before recognise the name
My Georgie loves her food as soon as I put the fresh food down she is there eating it lol she does make me laugh

Lolly_g

It looks dry. That's why their shells are pyramided they were kept too dry. Humidity should be around 80%. That was the hardest part of their housing for me. I finally built a closed chamber and now it's a breeze. If you look thru the enclosure posts you will get a lot if info and ideas. Some people use misters or humidifiers to keep humidity up. And welcome to the forum also!

Thank you, I have looked through loads of enclosure posts and I'm definitely going to make a closed chamber, hopefully I can adapt what I've already made and create some sort of lid for the open table. I wish I had come onto this forum before I built the table!

Lolly_g

Will there shells smooth out with proper care or will they always be like that now as they are 5yrs old?