I'm Concerned. (about burying himself)

MarieAllen127

Location (City and/or State)
Milton, Ontario
Hey y'all! I am a bit worried about my 7 month old Hermann Tortoise. I was just chilling on my bed when I heard strange noises from the tortoise tank, I went there and found my tortoise fully buried in the mulch! I got scared that he couldn't breathe so I got him out of it. I later realized that he might have been doing it on purpose to cool himself off, but I'm not sure....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We will need a bunch more info in order to help
Species
Size of enclosure a tank is too small for anything that's not a hatchling
Temps, basking? Over all? Night?
Humidity?
Type of lighting and heating, the exact bulbs you use?
Likely he was too hot if it's an adult and stick in a tank.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I fully agree with Wellington.
We must be able to determine if all of the parameters are correct.
If they are (IF) Then burrying himself or herself in the substrate for the night is quite normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey y'all! I am a bit worried about my 7 month old Hermann Tortoise. I was just chilling on my bed when I heard strange noises from the tortoise tank, I went there and found my tortoise fully buried in the mulch! I got scared that he couldn't breathe so I got him out of it. I later realized that he might have been doing it on purpose to cool himself off, but I'm not sure....
They bury themselves to get into a humid microclimate and to feel safe and secure. Its a good thing.

Share your heating and lighting, temperatures, humidity, and enclosure size and pics with us and we can make suggestions for changes, if any are even needed.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Burying is fine and they breath normally. Sometimes only the top scute or no scute can show. I do not allow days of burrowing so bring them out carefully to eat, drink and soak. They should be brumating at this time so I if your not doing that then heat, light, soaks, food and water are all essential.