Lamp broken.. burying himself..

TacoHermanooo

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I have my heat lamp on a timer and have only just noticed the heat lamp has gone. I noticed Taco has buried himself this evening is this just to stay warm? I won’t be able to go and get a new lamp until tomorrow will he be okay until then?! Any help, advice is appreciated ? I think I’m just over worrying ? he is a 3 year old hermann ?

TacoHermanooo

Manchester
What is the over night low? Do you have a source of night heat?

Buy two bulbs when you go. They always burn out at the most inconvenient times. Always have an extra on hand.
I’ve put the heating on so it’s around 15c at the moment. I thought I had 2 of everything I even have a spare socket so I think that’s why I’ve panicked myself ? luckily there is a reptile shop just down the road so I’ll be there first thing this morning ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve put the heating on so it’s around 15c at the moment. I thought I had 2 of everything I even have a spare socket so I think that’s why I’ve panicked myself ? luckily there is a reptile shop just down the road so I’ll be there first thing this morning ?
I find it fascinating the difference on how people keep their houses in different parts of the world. You say you put the heat on, and now your house is up to 15C. What was it before? Most people over here keep their thermostats set to 18-21C. I know some people that keep it at 24C. I can't even conceive of living and sleeping in a 15C house, but that is warmer than normal for you over there. Do you walk around the house with a jacket and thermals on all day?

I've learned to be careful with tortoise advice due to this difference. "Room temperature" over here in the states is NOT the same thing as room temp in the UK.

A 3 year old hermanni should be fine with 15C overnight as long as it can warm up the next day.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I find it fascinating the difference on how people keep their houses in different parts of the world. You say you put the heat on, and now your house is up to 15C. What was it before? Most people over here keep their thermostats set to 18-21C. I know some people that keep it at 24C. I can't even conceive of living and sleeping in a 15C house, but that is warmer than normal for you over there. Do you walk around the house with a jacket and thermals on all day?

I've learned to be careful with tortoise advice due to this difference. "Room temperature" over here in the states is NOT the same thing as room temp in the UK.

A 3 year old hermanni should be fine with 15C overnight as long as it can warm up the next day.
This is why my Russian tortoise is in an enclosed chamber. Here in Connecticut we let our thermostat drop to 55F (13C) overnight during the heating season, but he’s tucked up in a much warmer environment! During the heating season, 65F (18C) is “room temperature.”