Heat Lamp Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
I just bought a new heat lamp because the other one wasn't providing any heat and I think my tort wasn't warm enough. The new heat lamp certainly provides heat. My tort was in the opposite corner of the lamp so I figured it must be to hot for her. When i looked it was 105F on the thermometer. The lamp I have has a dimmer so I turned it down. Its 97F now and my tort is still in the corner. Is there something wrong with my tort?

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
A little lower might be better...but what type of Tortoise do you have? I can better answer your question.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What type of bulb, and what type of tort? it depends on species, as 105 really isn't that hot for most torts.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
My guy rarely sits under his light he likes it in the corner he wakes up goes there hangs out a bit then moves around.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Connecticut
Lilithlee said:
A little lower might be better...but what type of Tortoise do you have? I can better answer your question.

I have a Russian tort but I was able to raise the lamp and my tort crawls right under it. She seems to be much better. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Russians don't need it quite as hot as others. Most of the time that's all you need to do is play with the height of it. Be care it being on a dimmer. If it is a MVB, they can not be on dimmers or thermostats/reostats

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Casey666 said:
Lilithlee said:

I have a Russian tort but I was able to raise the lamp and my tort crawls right under it. She seems to be much better. :)

Yeah, my Russian doesn't like it hot either.

Status
Not open for further replies.