Possibly unwell 3 year old Ibera Greek male (Artichoke is his name :) advice please and thank you!!!

wderfler5

Location (City and/or State)
pennsylvania
Hi All,

I did try to search some other threads but haven't found any too helpful. First, I have to say I know his enclosure is too small. His enclosure is about 4x4 feet and Arti is kept inside year round at this point. This weekend he is getting an additonal 4 feet added to the length of his inside enclosure. So he will have double the space indoors. I'm adding grow lights to the one end of the new section and putting a spider plant plus a broadleaf seed mix that has 24 different plants. Hoping to give him more stimulation when he is inside with more natural food options. We are also building him an outdoor enclosure that would be about 40 square feet in the next few weeks. I plan to keep him outside when the weather permits, but bring him inside when it gets cold. I live in eastern PA. We have had Artichoke since he was around 4-6 months, which is just a guess by his size and the reptile shot we purchased him from. He has cyprus mulch (mostly) mixed with some dirt, we live on 12 acres and don't use any pesticides etc (I did bake this first bc i wanted to be extra careful). The temps in his enclosure range from 100 (basking) to the cooler side which is 70. His basking spot has always been a dome light with a 100w bulb and a 12 inch UVB tube bulb, both of which were just switched to ensure proper lighting and heat. His lights are on a 12 hour timer. They turn on by 7 am and off by 7pm. I was told by a breeder Iberas dont need high humidty since their natural habitat is dry/arid. I kept the humidty higher the first two years old his life. I do spray one side to give him options on where to hang out should he want some humidty. He has 2 hides in the dark cool dry side and a hide near his basking side. He is spending most of his time lately in the cooler side in one of his burrows/hides. He always has water and is offered greens 4 days a week, mazuri (mush balls) with calcium supplement and pumpkin seed puree sprinkled on it twice a week. He gets one day with no food. His greens include; clover, plantain, dandelion, mustard greens, endive, collard greens, organic salad mix, raddiccio, escarole, and an occasional treat of cucumber or watermelon. He doesn't get all these greens every week as i try to mix them up from week to week. I generally soak him once a week. Lately I have been soaking him a couple times a week due to him acting lethargic. He has had more than normal white urates and i thought he might be dehydrated. He used to come out every morning, bask, eat, then go to his hide and sleep. The past month he comes out every 2 days and only eats a little greens. He will eat all of his mush balls (the mazuri pellets soaked in water). I give him 4-5. His eyes look clear, nose is not runny, his tongue and mouth look ok (when he eats I get a decent look at his tongue). His poop is normal. I even tried to check for worms and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. I know the eggs can be microscopic but thought if it was an issue id be able to see them in his stool. I could be wrong in thinking that? Ive been trying to avoid the vet because I know how stressed out he will be. Could he be aestivating or is that only typical for outdoor tortoises? The person i normally reference said "he sounds tired to me" and to let him sleep. Is he changing his behaviors because he is getting older/maturing? Bored/stressed with his small enclosure? Sick? I do not weigh him as he has always had what i considered to be healthy habits, eating, pooping, and being active. He feels slightly lighter in weight, but not a lot. Anyway, before i headed to the vet I thought id ask all you helpful people :) Any thoughts? I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read all this info!!! :) Attached is a picture of a few of our pets, well just their heads, with dapper attire, you will see Artichoke on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Sounds like you offering him a great care (he would appreciate new enclosures, of course).

Can you post some photos of his enclosure and him? And check his beak for cracks. And what is his shell size now?

Can you tell the exact naming of the lamps? (maybe photos of the packaging or labels on the lamps)

He might have bladder stones, perhaps, because 4x4 doesn't provide him enough walking space. You can do soaks daily. And make an X-ray at vet.

wderfler5

pennsylvania
Hello!
Sounds like you offering him a great care (he would appreciate new enclosures, of course).

Can you post some photos of his enclosure and him? And check his beak for cracks. And what is his shell size now?

Can you tell the exact naming of the lamps? (maybe photos of the packaging or labels on the lamps)

He might have bladder stones, perhaps, because 4x4 doesn't provide him enough walking space. You can do soaks daily. And make an X-ray at vet.
Here are the pictures requested. I have not noticed any cracks in his beak. His shell is 6 inches in length. I do use grass hay in the dry side because he likes to dig into it, but i do make sure its not getting damp (i know it can cause mold). As you can see in the picture he is burrowed into it (bottom middle) the other hide is tupperware with hay on top so he feels secure. I will start soaking daily.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.jpg
    IMG_1701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1702.jpg
    IMG_1702.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1704.jpg
    IMG_1704.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

wderfler5

pennsylvania
Here are the pictures requested. I have not noticed any cracks in his beak. His shell is 6 inches in length. I do use grass hay in the dry side because he likes to dig into it, but i do make sure its not getting damp (i know it can cause mold). As you can see in the picture he is burrowed into it (bottom middle) the other hide is tupperware with hay on top so he feels secure. I will start soaking daily.
oops forgot to send the pictures of the lamps.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
The UVB lamp is fine. Did you change it recently? How high it's above the substrate?

The basking lamp is not optimal for tortoises - it makes a narrow beam of light and heat either creating a too small basking spot or you have to hang it high and use more powerful lamp to create a suitable basking area. So the question is how high the lamp is? And if temperature in the open part of the enclosure is 90F (not only under the lamp) - this may affect tortoise behaviour.

If we won't find any issues here, I would go to the vet to make an X-ray and rule out bladder stones possibility. At the vet, avoid vitamin shots and worm treatment without a fecal test first.

wderfler5

pennsylvania
How big should the basking area be? Right now the are is big enough for him to bask and then when he moves to his food it is 80 degrees. His cool side is 70. Today we are adding more space so I will move his food over and his basking area will be around 12 inches wide by 10 inches. In that area temps go from 100 degrees in the center and the furthest spot getting to be 90. I just changed the uvb lamp a week ago so it is brand new. The uvb is 10-12 inches above the substrate. Im going to see if more space perks him up, but otherwise will make a vet appt on Monday. Do you recommend dusting food with calcium supplement? I have used a multi vitamin since he was small on his soft pellets twice a week, but reading some dont use calcium supplementation at all. I dont want to over do it. Thanks for all your input!
The UVB lamp is fine. Did you change it recently? How high it's above the substrate?

The basking lamp is not optimal for tortoises - it makes a narrow beam of light and heat either creating a too small basking spot or you have to hang it high and use more powerful lamp to create a suitable basking area. So the question is how high the lamp is? And if temperature in the open part of the enclosure is 90F (not only under the lamp) - this may affect tortoise behaviour.

If we won't find any issues here, I would go to the vet to make an X-ray and rule out bladder stones possibility. At the vet, avoid vitamin shots and worm treatment without a fecal test first

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
How big should the basking area be? Right now the are is big enough for him to bask and then when he moves to his food it is 80 degrees. His cool side is 70. Today we are adding more space so I will move his food over and his basking area will be around 12 inches wide by 10 inches. In that area temps go from 100 degrees in the center and the furthest spot getting to be 90. I just changed the uvb lamp a week ago so it is brand new. The uvb is 10-12 inches above the substrate. Im going to see if more space perks him up, but otherwise will make a vet appt on Monday. Do you recommend dusting food with calcium supplement? I have used a multi vitamin since he was small on his soft pellets twice a week, but reading some dont use calcium supplementation at all. I dont want to over do it. Thanks for all your input!
Basking area sounds just right!
ZooMed 10.0 tube can be too harsh at 10-12 inches (if you've been using 5.0 before, this may explain his behaviour). You can raise the terrarium hood to 15-16 inches and change timings to 4-6 hours a day, from 11AM to 3 PM, for example (this corresponds to sunlight UV peaks).

Using a tiny pinch of calcium (without D3) once or twice a week over greens is what's recommended. In the winter or full time indoors you can use 1 day without D3 and another - with added D3. And once a week you can ads multivitamins (Herptivite) or mineral complex (Miner-All).

wderfler5

pennsylvania
Basking area sounds just right!
ZooMed 10.0 tube can be too harsh at 10-12 inches (if you've been using 5.0 before, this may explain his behaviour). You can raise the terrarium hood to 15-16 inches and change timings to 4-6 hours a day, from 11AM to 3 PM, for example (this corresponds to sunlight UV peaks).

Using a tiny pinch of calcium (without D3) once or twice a week over greens is what's recommended. In the winter or full time indoors you can use 1 day without D3 and another - with added D3. And once a week you can ads multivitamins (Herptivite) or mineral complex (Miner-All).
I have used the same lights his entire life (10.0 tube) I have added more space to his enclosure and now his basking area is around 14” X 10” with the center temp being near 100. Where he eats and drinks/soaks the temps are around 75. I’m adding a picture of his bigger indoor enclosure. What is suggested for the end that currently has no lamp/heat source over it? Should I put another basking area or is one enough? Can I use grow lights so I can try to grow some greens? Do these emit any heat as the new area is around 70 degrees with no lamp. Thanks for all the recommendations!

Attachments

• IMG_1708.jpeg
    IMG_1708.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1