Help! a shell shy tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

LParkey

5 Year Member
Ok so I feel I've made great progress in the care taking of my tort since joining that forum! One MAJOR thing if like to fix is interaction between my tort and i. I was told when I bought her that when they're little you shouldn't handle them much. I handle her at leave once a day, but she is extremely shell shy. I feel as if she doesn't trust me at all :( It used to be so bad she'd poop and pee on us. I'm SO glad that stopped :D However she still scares VERY easily, and it takes her quite a while to come out of her shell. If I go to touch her like on her legs or shell, she immediately goes into hiding. Are there any techniques anyone can suggest to make her more comfortable with human interaction?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some are some aren't. I talk to my leopard every day when I am giving him is soak. I say his name several times in a row and in a playful high pitch tone, kinda like your would talk to a baby. He is. Ot shy at all. If he does get startled and goes in his shell, he will come right back out. I did notice, when I first got him and he wouldn't come out that if you hold them upright, with their back legs pointing to the floor and their head pointing to the ceiling, he came out faster. Other than that, keep talking to him, keep handling him, and give him some time. They are not all on the same time schedule. He may just be shyer and need more time. Good luck.:D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
The only time they are lifted into the air in the wild is by a predator. Younger torts especially have to hide a lot to survive.
Handle your tort to soak, etc., but that's all.
You can manage its enclosure: cleaning, rearranging. Just move slowly. It is good to spend time around your tort, but if it does not like being lifted, then don't do it for awhile.
Never carry a tort w/o supporting its shell and at legs as much as possible. I keep small plastic containers lined with cardboard to transport mine, outside, etc., even if just for a few feet.
Another option is to put your tort on the ground in a safe place and sit in the same area, you can even occasionally hand feed it.
It may take months, but you will eventually notice a difference, especially as your tort gets larger.

LParkey

5 Year Member
I ALWAYS support her by the bottom of her shell (ie: in the palm of my hand) I do get her out and let her roam on the floor and I lay on the floor with her but she will crawl away from me in the other direction. I talk to ALL my animals CONSTANTLY. I will keep trying and hopefully she'll come around. At what age can I start handling her frequently?

Status
Not open for further replies.