Help coco coir

rosie20

Hi just put the damp coco coir in my hermann tortoise vivarium is this a problem or can I let my tortoise out into it

Thanks

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I don't know about this breed, but i keep my coir damp for my Leopards. I am not sure i understand the question. It should not be dripping wer, but damp should definitely be ok.

rosie20

I literally brought it an hour ago isit okay to put in or does it need time to air that's what I read online

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I buy mine in compressed bricks. I expand them with water and add to the enclosure. I have never heard of letting it air out, but i don't know everything. :) how long does it say to do that?

phebe121

I dont let my coconut coir air out i also get in a brick maybe it says to air out so it wont be as wet but just squeeze iy with your hand to get it less wet i poor about 3 cups of water on it everyday

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have also just squeezed the excess water out of it and put it right into the enclosure and then mixed it with what was already in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Check with what the humidity for your species is suppose to be. Leopards, sulcatas, red foots need a very high humidity. Most do, however, not all need it as high and some species don't do well on really wet substrate, like the Red foots. You need to make sure what your species require and I can't help you with the kind you have. Hopefully, someone keeping that species and knowledgable about them will come on soon.