Help (colored urine)

lskaife

can anyone tell me what is causing this color in my Russian torts urine? I do not feed him dandelions. I feed him romaine kale escarole arugula and baby sweet lettuce

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    899.9 KB · Views: 28

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The white stuff is Urates, normal as long as they are creamy like tooth paste and not gritty

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My Russian, Max also had the brownish orange color yesterday during his soak. I forgot to take a picture so I did not post about it yet. Its not from dandelions though, i feed him that occasionally & he never gives out that orange substance.
I keep my tortoise on soil. Feed them escarole, endive, spring mix, dandelion greens & just introduced radicchio today. I also sprinkle wetted T-rex dry tortoise food on top of their food once a week or so. They get soaks 2-3 times a week.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
My Russian, Max also had the brownish orange color yesterday during his soak. I forgot to take a picture so I did not post about it yet. Its not from dandelions though, i feed him that occasionally & he never gives out that orange substance.
I keep my tortoise on soil. Feed them escarole, endive, spring mix, dandelion greens & just introduced radicchio today. I also sprinkle wetted T-rex dry tortoise food on top of their food once a week or so. They get soaks 2-3 times a week.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
can anyone tell me what is causing this color in my Russian torts urine? I do not feed him dandelions. I feed him romaine kale escarole arugula and baby sweet lettuce
Has your tortoises peed anymore of the brownish orange substance?

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Has he had diarrhea or loose stools recently? When my tortoise has loose stools his pee will have a brownish tinge with little poo flakes afterwards. It goes back to normal after a few healthy poos. He doesn't produce urates because he's an RF so I'm not sure if this would apply.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
The substance is like slimy also. Imagine a slimy-ish spider web. I soaked him again today and he pooped some of it again but almost clear , not orange. His stools are a little runny since his deworming

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Slimy spider web sounds like urates. A really, really good way to describe urates :D

Just keep soaking. Some medications color the urine and urates. Generally the more you soak and the more hydrated the tort is the less urates you get.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Slimy spider web sounds like urates. A really, really good way to describe urates :D

Just keep soaking. Some medications color the urine and urates. Generally the more you soak and the more hydrated the tort is the less urates you get.
Oh, thats different, the urates arent white when hes really hydrated? He had some gritty urates a couple weeks ago, but i havent seen any since then. Just the slimy stuff.
Thats good and relieving to hear though. Thank you !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Slimy urates = good

Gritty urates = dehydrated

Coloured wee or urates = chances are that it's caused by what's been eaten. Blood is obviously a concern and take other behaviour into consideration

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Oh, thats different, the urates arent white when hes really hydrated?
My tort is very well hydrated - soaked everyday, food soaked and sprayed, and his urates are like white slime - very whispy and floaty. Dandelion leaves give a pinkish tinge to wee but it's usually clear.