Normal bowel movements

lskaife

helli everyone, I have had bardi in my care for about 3 months now and for the first time he really is eating very well every day and when I soak him he does go to the bathroom. His diet consists of romaine lettuce kale baby sweet lettuce tortoise food and dried flowers...today he had the first bowel movement that I could observe, and I'm wondering if the water made it look this way, or is this normal? Does he need more fiber? I know the white is urates from the urine and I do supplement calcium twice a week thanks in advance for your opinions. He is loving his new enclosure and is a lot more active and happy which in return makes me happy!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 33

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
helli everyone, I have had bardi in my care for about 3 months now and for the first time he really is eating very well every day and when I soak him he does go to the bathroom. His diet consists of romaine lettuce kale baby sweet lettuce tortoise food and dried flowers...today he had the first bowel movement that I could observe, and I'm wondering if the water made it look this way, or is this normal? Does he need more fiber? I know the white is urates from the urine and I do supplement calcium twice a week thanks in advance for your opinions. He is loving his new enclosure and is a lot more active and happy which in return makes me happy!!
What sort of tort is Bardi?
I can't comment on the stools as my tort has never pooped in his water, but that seems an awful lot of urates for a little tort - unless of course my leopard is unusual for just passing small amounts of soft almost transparent urates, I will be interested to see what other members say.
Have you found the caresheet for Bardi yet? If not that will tell you all about diet and what else you could feed hm.

lskaife

Well he is a Russian but as I mentioned he is just now getting accustomed for the longest time he wasn't eating or drinking well so I know he is dehydrated I soak him 3 times a week and he eats everyday now it's wonderful. I live in Wisconsin so resources are limited in the winter as far as food goes. Thanks for your input!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I would call it normal-ish. My redfoot's are much more digested than this, it comes out as a uniform log that is all one color. (Usually dark green if they have been eating right) - It might take a bit to get him regular if he's been picky for a while. Keep up the soaks and healthy diet.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would call it normal-ish. My redfoot's are much more digested than this, it comes out as a uniform log that is all one color. (Usually dark green if they have been eating right) - It might take a bit to get him regular if he's been picky for a while. Keep up the soaks and healthy diet.
Our Redfoot also have no urates.

Kasia

Poland

A have a RT for quite a while and a would say that this poo is rather loose (maybe due to the soak). Did you see him pooping? Did it came out in this form or was it in solid pieces? Observe him and if its loose and more diarrhoeaish do a fecal exam at Your Vet's :)

Good luck;)

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I have 2 Russians for 12 years now. When I first got them I would say their poop looked similar, maybe even looser. But they had a parasite, pinworms. This was picked up in a fecal exam under a microscope right in Vets office. They were de-wormed with oral medication at a very good reptile/exotic pet Vet. Soon after their poop firmed up and is more bound and solid.
Had a couple fecal exams since - all negative for parasites.