Help for a Newbie

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
They are now separated in different Vivariums. The message here is really that I will do anything it takes. Once they are fit an healthy I will rehome one and the other will stay. Clearly more bad advice from the shop! These guys are Russians (Horsefields) and the vet said one of each.

Lets see how we go now!
You have two vivariums, you could still keep both. My Fathers from Glasgow and if I was still there now I would of been happy to take him. I’m sure if your 100% certain that you want to rehome one them there will be a place nearby or a forum member may live nearby.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hoping that things are still improving with these little ones?

Steadg

Glasgow, Scotland
Still not eating antibiotics now finished. Back at vets on Monday.

One is stretching their neck and looks like it’s gasping...

The other one just sleeps all day it’s like they are hibernating. But they liven up at bath time and seem to have loads of energy.

Should have got a hamster! Grrrrr

Attachments

• 97CE83E3-66BA-47F8-9F7A-46D02AB97D2B.jpeg
    97CE83E3-66BA-47F8-9F7A-46D02AB97D2B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 9D7AB17B-6F4F-4433-BFF7-B06E150E3065.jpeg
    9D7AB17B-6F4F-4433-BFF7-B06E150E3065.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • E01F8EA9-08D8-47D4-BF40-3F21618470F6.jpeg
    E01F8EA9-08D8-47D4-BF40-3F21618470F6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Still not eating antibiotics now finished. Back at vets on Monday.

One is stretching their neck and looks like it’s gasping...

The other one just sleeps all day it’s like they are hibernating. But they liven up at bath time and seem to have loads of energy.

Should have got a hamster! Grrrrr
That’s weird that your not seeing much of an improvement in appetite or activity. What is your vet prescribing?

Steadg

Glasgow, Scotland
That’s weird that your not seeing much of an improvement in appetite or activity. What is your vet prescribing?

They have just finished Fortum injections 3 each 72 hours apart - they are done.

They also have 2 x 15 min warm baths with Reptoboost in their water - everyday. They go to the vet again on Monday..

Steadg

Glasgow, Scotland
Just an update - took them back to the vet who kept them in. One had started to recover well, but they wanted to tube feed a few days. We now have him back and he is active and eating like he is having his last meal. Really Happy :)

The second one is still in the vets - putting weight on but not eating by herself - being tub fed. Parasite damage may be more substantial that thought - plus the anti biotics did not clear her infection so she had swabs with results due Monday. New anti biotics will be prescribed once those results are in.

Gijoux

10 Year Member!
Southern California
What type of substrate are you using? It looks very sandy. I wonder if they are reacting to it. I hope they are doing better now.

Steadg

Glasgow, Scotland
Ugh - so they have CHV and Mycoplasma - the one in the vets is recovering now too - but needs a lot of extra care. Care which I shouldn’t have to give if the shop had been careful. Need to get a nebuliser and do that 3 times a day - then give 14 days worth of antibiotics. Vet says the tortoise will never be right but would not consider euthanasia as she is feeding herself now.

Any experience with CHV is it as bad as the books make out?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what CHV is. Some sort of herpes? Russians are susceptible to herpes, but it is usually seen as lesions in the mouth and drooling. Outlook not good, highly contagious.

I really like your closed enclosure. If it determined b the vet that he one they have is not contagious and can be put back with the other, that enclosure would be ok for the two o them providing they get along. I would add several potted plants, either real o fake, as sight barriers. This helps them stay out of each other's sight.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Ugh - so they have CHV and Mycoplasma - the one in the vets is recovering now too - but needs a lot of extra care. Care which I shouldn’t have to give if the shop had been careful. Need to get a nebuliser and do that 3 times a day - then give 14 days worth of antibiotics. Vet says the tortoise will never be right but would not consider euthanasia as she is feeding herself now.

Any experience with CHV is it as bad as the books make out?
Poor little torts, they have been through a lot. (And you the owner) :D. It’s ridiculous how many pet stores do not give a damn about there animals but sadly that’s the way it is. Perhaps after all this and your little torties are in good health (and I am sure they will be) you could send a little letter to the pet shop about your story and tell them to take better care of their animals. I’m not a bad influence. Or am I.......?:D.

On a more serious note, has your vet noticed any thing strange in the mouth such as thick mucus, bleeding or lesions. This would indicate herpes or mouth rot as Yvonne said. Herpes is usually accompanied by drooling.