Help (Found Turtle)

Joshua1313

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, NC, USA
I just found a box turtle in the road I've taken and put it close to my house to feed it and hoping it won't go back towards the road it looks REALLY young and has barely poked it's head out of it's shell and hasnt eaten when i put lettuce right infront of it how do I get it to come out it's shell and eat and what should I do with it ive since moved it back to the grass but it still has food i though itd be more comfortable in the grass1000000617.jpg

1000000617.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not a good idea to move found box turtles away from the spot where you found it. They have their territory, and they spend a lot of time trying to get back to their territory when moved away. When you find a box turtle in the street, try to figure out which direction he was travelling and just move him out of the street in the same direction he was going.

Your pictures don't show a clear view of the turtle, and to me it looks like it MIGHT be a water turtle, but hard to tell. At any rate, box turtles and water turtles are pretty carnivorous and would be more inclined to eat something live and wiggly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, just leave him be. You can set out a saucer (not a cup) of water, but just let him go wherever he wants to.

Last edited:

Joshua1313

Denver, NC, USA
It's not a good idea to move found box turtles away from the spot where you found it. They have their territory, and they spend a lot of time trying to get back to their territory when moved away. When you find a box turtle in the street, try to figure out which direction he was travelling and just move him out of the street in the same direction he was going.

Your pictures don't show a clear view of the turtle, and to me it looks like it MIGHT be a water turtle, but hard to tell. At any rate, box turtles and water turtles are pretty carnivorous and would be more inclined to eat something live and wiggly.

Joshua1313

Denver, NC, USA

There is a better photo20240729_095413.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I still can't tell. That view looks like a little tortoise???

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Markw84 can you get some id out of these pics?
Nope! No way to ID from these pictures. Would need pictures in focus of the entire carapace, plastron, and head and neck to really be sure of an ID. Can't make out anything in these pictures.

I am curious because what I do see doesn't make sense. Dark coloring, nuchal scute, apparently higher domed, and looks like the growth of a captive raised????

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yes, it's very cool that you looked out for him so he didn't get hurt!

Best time to put him back on the far side of whereever he was headed is early...like 6am early.
You did a good thing!