Turtle found 1 year latter!!!!

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
So last summer I babysat my buddy's dog while he was gone and he busted the lid on my box turtle enclosure. I didn't realize it until it was too late. I was in my back yard and saw one of my baby 3 toe box turtles walking on the ground OUTSIDE my box turtle enclosure. He had puncture wounds on it, I cleaned him up but he didn't make it. He was the runt of the litter.

After taking innovatory I realized I was missing another of my yearling 3 toes. I searched and searched but never found him. I told my wife that he was either living in one of the large clumps of fountain grass I have back there or he got out of the fence. The fountain grass is very dense and no way for me to search it.

3 weeks ago I paid a landscaper to cut the fountain gras way way back, almost to the ground. Well low and behold I was mowing my yard today (it was very tall since it hadn't been mowed since the landscaper was here 3 weeks ago) and I mowed a path and saw him. I mowed right over him.... but didn't touch it.

I'm sure he was living in one of those bushes. 3 toes are native here to Texas so I knew he'd be fine wherever he was. Not only did he survive, he thrived. He's more than double the size, has nice colors on his shell and has little fat pockets pushing out of his armpits. He's a little porker!!!!

He peed when I picked him up and it was completely clear so he's nice and hydrated and let me give him a head rub. I soaked him for a bit and put him back in his pen with the others.

Never give up looking :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm glad you found him. I'm also glad he wasn't hurt by the lawnmower. But he is going to be pretty bummed :) he lost his freedom.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
My phone was dead when I found him. I'll get some pics later. His pen is pretty good size