New to turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
I found a box turtle in my backyard. I wondered if because she(small tail) had 3 toes on her back feet was in fact a 3 toed box turtle. It seems easy enough to identify, but are there other species that have 3 toes?
Thanks

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
I am trying to do this from my cell, so I am sorry about the quality.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like a 3-toe, but hard to tell from such a small picture.

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
She acts like a released pet. She is coming to us and not even scared of my 4 and 6 year old. I am turning one of my veggie garden beds into a pen for her. We are in the Memphis TN area. I was wondering about a good shade plant for the habitat. It already has a few strawberries in it, but I found ants. So I am trying to get rid of them before I put her in. I home school so she makes a great addition to our family.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
U shouldn't take animals from the wild . Their populations are already doing shakey. Why not adopt one or purchase a captive bred turtle if you really want one

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Take it easy, Stephanie. The turtle was found in his back yard. On his own property. We don't know it is a wild turtle. Three toes are indigenous to Tennesee, however, this turtle is in his own back yard. If it did turn out to be a lost pet that had never lived on its own and he turned it loose, he would be sending it to its death. In my opinion, he is doing the right thing to keep it. However, if it were me, I would put up signs in the neighborhood asking if anyone has lost a turtle.

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
The house next door to me is a rental and the day or 2 after they started moving she showed up in my backyard against the fence of the rental house. They are long gone. However I see a lot of sliders crossing the street behind my house and most of them never make it. When I do see them I stop and put them on the other side so I am not a seek and capture from the wild person. I am a Christian and we prayed about finding the right turtle and the next day she showed up in our backyard. Plus we have fallen in love with her.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I cant tell from the pic, it is too small for me to make out any details. but if there are only 3 toes on the back feet then that it what type you have. Hence the name "three toed"... we here on the forum like to see pictures of enclosures and pens, so when you get a chance post some pics, we also can give you some input on ways to "furnish" it. I know from my ttbt's that they like to dig and bury themselves, they like to hide under logs. they like a variety of fruits and veggies, but also will just mainly eat bugs. So you will have to adjust to your turtles taste.

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
it is a 3.5 x 7.5 bed about 7 or 8 inches deep with dirt. I have like 3 strawberry plants but was hoping for something with big shade plants. I have the top of a bird bath for a water hole (changed daily) and I am building a dog house type hut for a cave.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Just a tip....they can climb...so make sure the walls are high enough. Also dont put anything up against the wall that they can use to climb out. you will be surprised at how easy they escape.

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
I am going about 12 inches higher than the 6 already there, plus a hinged top with wire mesh. to keep her in and predators out.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You could plant some hosta's. Mine love to sit under them and they draw slugs, which the box turtles love to eat. Small fig trees are great too. I keep mine small and let the ripe figs fall to the ground. They go crazy over them. There is a small butterfly bush called Lo & Behold Ice Chip. It is a small flowering shrub that is good for shade too.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes! I have them in both of my enclosures. They look pretty and spread, and the boxies will sit under them too.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
emysemys said:
Take it easy, Stephanie. The turtle was found in his back yard. On his own property. We don't know it is a wild turtle. Three toes are indigenous to Tennesee, however, this turtle is in his own back yard. If it did turn out to be a lost pet that had never lived on its own and he turned it loose, he would be sending it to its death. In my opinion, he is doing the right thing to keep it. However, if it were me, I would put up signs in the neighborhood asking if anyone has lost a turtle.
Interesting response. I highly respect you, but, do you know whether or not the TTBT is protected in the state of Tennessee? Are you implying that once an animal crosses one's property line, regardless of their status, they can be captured and kept? Stephanie, you said nothing wrong.

I saw a Kingfisher come up from the river and into my backyard yesterday morning. Being of Christian Faith, I knew it came there because the night before I prayed for a little sparrow.

Darth Adamus

5 Year Member
I am glad you can mock my faith. I believe there are no accidents and everything happens for a reason. I actually live in Mississippi and our laws are a little different than Tennessee. The reason I asked the question was to help me identify the turtle and finding all the knowledge and experience of this forum I knew regardless of personal beliefs we all agreed on the well being of these wonderful creatures and I knew everyone on here could help me make the best habitat. Please don't knock my Religion. I don't mock yours.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Did I miss something? I don't see a post mocking faith. If one was posted then removed all the better. To each their own in that respect and there's nothing wrong with sending a little positive energy in the world whether through prayer, wishful thinking, or doing what you can to help others. I would look into the laws to make sure you aren't going to get in trouble but other than that if you are willing and able to give this little one a good home with protection from predators more power to you. Who knows maybe you'll eventually come across a mate for it (by purchase or divine intervention) and help the species continue. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread just throwing my 2 cents in the pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.