The Goof Ball

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Darn it! That's just terrible news. I've heard that slugs carry some sort of fluke that gets into the turtle's lungs. I wonder if anyone here knows how soon after being infected the host turtle dies? Might be something to consider. I did notice that he does seem pretty thin. He might have been hiding an illness that you had no control over, for a long time.

I know this doesn't help, Maggie, but it's part of life. I'm so very sorry.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My understanding is that snails carry flukes but slugs don't. It may have been exposed to something... Sometimes you just don't know.

A few years back I lost my best eater. He became ill & lethargic, & the vet & antibiotics & I couldn't save him.

It hurts. So sorry for your loss.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
This is very unfortunate indeed. Maggie I must say however, you raised him since he was a wee little whipper snapper. You both had an arranged connection or bond. He saw you last and let you pick him up and off he went with the prescience of his loved owner and long time friend. This is very sad losing such family member. But you were there for him and he knew it.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Sorry for your lost Maggie. I've learned through the years that once a box turtle is very noticeably skinny that feeding heavy protein items like slugs/worms can actually make things worse. The mucus that those animals produce can dry up in the tortoises mouth and esophagus if the tortoise isn't responding to hydration. I try to stick to blackberries and the like for rehabilitating light box turtles.

Now if one is simply dealing with puffy eyes or ear abscesses then worms/slugs are usually just fine .

If you can get your boxies liking wheat bread ( mine love it) then if they get sick you can soak bread in a variety of beneficial liquids plus powder it with calcium and vitamins.

I'm rehabbing a rescued female who I was fortunate enough to get her eating bread and have had her bounce back nicely by both powder ring the moist bread and also squiring berry juices into the bread. As of last week she is heavy enough and strong enough to eat worms and heavier foods.

Just some advice in case another turtle catches whatever he was dealing with. Let's pray that doesn't happen :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is an excellent post, Bryan. So good to know this. I'll have to give it a try next time I have an anorexic box turtle rescue. Thank you!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Kim444

5 Year Member
may I ask what the bubbles are in your soak picture? so sorry for your loss

M

Maggie Cummings

Sorry for your lost Maggie. I've learned through the years that once a box turtle is very noticeably skinny that feeding heavy protein items like slugs/worms can actually make things worse. The mucus that those animals produce can dry up in the tortoises mouth and esophagus if the tortoise isn't responding to hydration. I try to stick to blackberries and the like for rehabilitating light box turtles.

Now if one is simply dealing with puffy eyes or ear abscesses then worms/slugs are usually just fine .

If you can get your boxies liking wheat bread ( mine love it) then if they get sick you can soak bread in a variety of beneficial liquids plus powder it with calcium and vitamins.

I'm rehabbing a rescued female who I was fortunate enough to get her eating bread and have had her bounce back nicely by both powder ring the moist bread and also squiring berry juices into the bread. As of last week she is heavy enough and strong enough to eat worms and heavier foods.

Just some advice in case another turtle catches whatever he was dealing with. Let's pray that doesn't happen :(
Thanks for that info. I will write it down just in case there is a next time. I took cantaloupe, blueberries, bananas, and Mazuri then cut up night crawlers and that what I was feeding him after I saw he was so thin. He was drinking tho. I did feel he was well hydrated, but I did feed a number of night crawlers and smaller slugs.
may I ask what the bubbles are in your soak picture? so sorry for your loss

M

Maggie Cummings

Kim...When I have a turtle or tortoise that is sick I sometimes soak them in a yellow powder called Duramycin-10. It's tetracycline hydrochloride. It's used in drinking water for cattle or swine and poultry. The Goof Ball was obviously too far gone for it to help, only I simply didn't realize how sick he was. His dying like that took me totally by surprise. I knew he was too thin, and was trying to feed him better and daily, but I just had no idea he was that far gone, or I would have had him at the vets as fast as I could get him there. I have no excuse for not knowing, because I do take good care of my animals, and I do pay a lot of attention to them, as I feel their lives are my responsibility. This broken shoulder distracted me I guess, and it's something I won't ever forgive myself for. He died needlessly, if I had been paying better attention that wouldn't have happened.