question about my baby boxie

TurtandTortlover099

Location (City and/or State)
Central California (Clovis)
So I have had him for about a year now and he has been eating fine except now he is going and hiding in a back corner of the cage all day. He is eating and digesting fine. I haven't seen any worms. So I'm a little worried. When I pick him up to check on him about once a day, he seems really dried out. Anyone have a idea of what's wrong. He's been doing it for probably a month and a half to to months.

Melis

Maryland
What's the humidity of his enclosure? Does he have access to water?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Are you positive on his humidity? Can we see photos of him?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Some pictures of the turtle and its enclosure would be very helpful in figuring out what is happening.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
First, that baby is absolutely adorable! Second, much wider but not deeper water pan and cover the wire top with plastic to hold in humidity.

Also, get cod liver oil capsules. Poke a pin hole in one end. You can put a drop on each eye and also add a drop to food once a week. Not daily!

Those temperature and humidity gauges are not correct. Your humidity is likely less than 60%.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
What a cutey! Box turtles love to dig in and hide as a rule, that's not unusual. Your setup looks pretty good but possibly too dry, pour some water in the substrate so it feels like a sponge that has all the water squeezed out of it. Consider getting a tube of Terramycin eye ointment to have on hand for eye infections and replace the analog thermometer and hygrometer with a digital one. This one works well for the price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013BKDO8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

jakskillz

Georgia
Maybe try adding more plants. They release water vapor underneath and make your turtle feel more comfortable.

Purplechic

Maybe try adding more plants. They release water vapor underneath and make your turtle feel more comfortable.
Can you put real plants in enclosure inside? If so, what kind? Myrtle will not eat greens, maybe if I had a real plant she would eat?